DWP have sent me a letter, please help me!

kate1976
kate1976 Forumite Posts: 2,021 Forumite
Hi all,

I've had a letter this morning from the DWP Debt management centre informing me that between the period of 3/3/2004 & 20/4/2004 that they have overpaid my income support by £360.00!

I've tried calling them on the number provided but I just keep getting the usual 'our operaters are really busy' thing! So I'm going to write to them over the weekend, any tips for my letter are welcomed!

The period that they speak of is when I was working for an agency, I informed them before I started work that I would be working for 14 hours a week, they accepted this and asked for me to send in my payslips weekly which I did, whilst waiting for them to sort out their end I had a few weeks when I recieved nothing from them then I recieved the reduced rate when I did get it, as it was an agency they couldn't guarantee work so a few weeks I was living hand to mouth, still am really!! still with me? Good! I'm sorry I ramble when I'm upset/annoyed!

I don't understand why they've suddenly come up with this over 2 years later, do they not keep proper accounts?? Why's it made out to be my fault? :mad: This, typically, has come at a really bad time for me both personal and financial and I just can't get my head around the fact that having been honest and straight with them has led to this mess!

Any advice will be gratefully received!

Thanks for letting me rant!
Kate
xxx
:Axxx
"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather
and ask for it back when it begins to rain."

Stay safe, stay sane, stay smiley!

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Forumite Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Hi,

Feel for you in this situation, your best thing is to get help from someone like the Citizens Advice Bureau. Have you still records of all bank statements and payslips etc from the time in question?

Try having a look at the following site from the adviceguide site run by CAB:
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/benefits/problems_with_benefits_and_tax_credits.htm
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • kate1976
    Thank you so much for your quick reply, I have all my payslips, bank statements should be online as I don't get paper statements, my local CAB is quite a distance and I'm not sure if I can get up there, I shall read through the link you gave though!

Thanks again!
    Kate
    xxx

• hjb123
    Some CAB have telephone advice sessions or there is also the Welfare Rights Service at your local council. Sometimes though if illness prevents you from getting to the advice centre they are able to do home visits
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • kate1976
    Thanks again for that, I'll look into it! You've made me feel a little better, I've been feeling sick with worry since reading the letter, great start to the weekend!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks again!
    Kate
    xxx

• hjb123
    Dont let the DWP get to you - it can make you feel worse if you are already ill! Keep your chin up and think 'I will beat them!'
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Forumite Posts: 7,700
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you can prove that you told them and they failed to act on the information, there is no way they can make you repay the overpayment as it would be classed as 'official error'.

Good luck
  • kate1976
    Thank you both for your replies!

I sent them a letter telling them after being advised to by the jobcentre when I phoned to tell them I was starting work, I also sent in all the paperwork they required weekly but I'm not sure that will count as proof to them! I have found all my payslips today which after 2 years wasn't an easy thing to do but at least I have them to show even though they've seen them before!

I hate that they've done this after 2 years, why do they leave it so long? :rolleyes:

Thanks again!
    Kate
    xxx

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing