i want to transfer all my call to BT-shall i just take the Orchid dialler out??

in Phones & TV
3 replies 701 views
purplypurply Forumite
391 Posts
Hi,
I want to transfer all my calls to BT (currently calls are provided by onetel and 18866 and line rental by BT)

I went to the BT website and i clicked on a link which said i could switch all my calls to BT-followed the instructions but now I cant help thinking if is should have just unplugged the Orchid Dialler?

Easy option?

Regards
Respond to every call that excites your spirit.

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you had OneTel as your CPS provider, it depends what package you were on with them as to when the Orchid was set up to 'do not route' (i.e. send out on OneTel) and when it was set up to 'route via 18866'.

In simple terms, going back to BT but leaving the Orchid connected will just mean the 'do not route' calls will now go via BT - but the 18866 calls will still be routed. You will need to remove the Orchid to stop calls being routed via 18866.

However, are you sure that is what you want to do?

Bearing in mind you're on this site, you must realise most calls via BT are more expensive.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • purplypurply Forumite
    391 Posts
    I agree with you about BT being more expensive but I'm moving out of the parental home (getting married) and so far I have been paying some of the the phone bill i.e. I've been sorting the whole 18866/onetel etc business in the past, but now i need to transfer the phone bill over to my parents.

Thing is, my dad does not do the internet, and doesn't do direct debit and doesn't really understand the whole orchid dialler thing, so he needs a BT style of billing where he can go to the Post Office or wherever to pay the bill.

Basically, I need to keep it really simple for my parents!

What I have decided to do though is to have the call barr feature that BT offer for premium calls, mobiles etc so all they are paying is a minimum amount (hopefully).

What do you think?
    Respond to every call that excites your spirit.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see where you're coming from now and agree that's a sensible move.

I'm many, (many), years ahead of you and have added my Mother's number to my 1899 online account and told her to dial a 1899 prefix on all her calls. It saves her a fortune (well, it would, wouldn't it - I pay the bill for her calls and mine) but she's happy.

Congratulations to you and the future Mrs. purply.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides