Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

White Vinegar Uses - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

White Vinegar Uses

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
78 replies 59.7K views

Replies

• Sounds minging but my husbands gym vests smell of bo so I soak vinegar on the pit area as a pre treatment and now will beusing it n stead of fab ondirioner.
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • pigpenpigpen Forumite
    37.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krlyr wrote: »
    I'd have poured it down the sink or loo - if it's not going to be used for anything else, it can at least deodourise the pipes or de-scale the toilet!

nope.. because then my house stinks for days.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2020 £47457.61 (2.41% int.)
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    28.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used vinegar & soda crystals to keep the drains sweet in bathrooms.

Result, leaking sink. The vinegar corroded the metal, so not money saving.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Miss_RattyMiss_Ratty Forumite
    336 posts
    I use it every day, as we don't use chemicals in the house. Fabric softner, cleaning windows, descaling the loo and kettle, polishing stainless steel, stopping the dog from weeing in places...and deoderising when he has! Also to clean our chopping boards and deoderise them. So so many uses!
  • monnagranmonnagran Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scrubbed my worktops with a mixture of vinegar and stardrops, used it in the fabric softener dish in the WM, made mint sauce and tomorrow will do a hot wash in the DW with a cup of vinegar in it so it's all clean and lovely when I get back from my hols.

Hiccups - I used to drip some vinegar on to a sugar lump for the children at school, poor little souls couldn't stomach just vinegar. I'd be arrested by the 'don't-do-anything-in-case-you-get-sued' police these days.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • drinkuprettydrinkupretty Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sipping apple cider vinegar stopped my gall stone attack in its tracks. I kept getting awful pain from it every so often and was waiting an age for the operation, I looked online for something to relive an attack and someone suggested apple cider vinegar. It worked, and also I have not had an attack since so I cancelled my operation. Not saying it is a medically proven cure, if you suspect gall bladder issues please go to your doctor! Just saying it worked for me.
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
  • Put it on my chips . . . lovely.

Also good for a pre-clean of your windows, as long as you don't mind the smell.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely hate the smell of vinegar.

The things i do for vanity.:(
  • bargainbettybargainbetty Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scrubbed the bath with bicarb and vinegar. Tiles are sparkling and the tub is gleaming. Haven't done any other housework in days, so that made me feel all virtuous!

Tomorrow night, I will be using red wine vinegar to make onion marmalade.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.... :wall:
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!
    MFW - Joined May 2012, aiming to cut the mortgage by an extra two months every year. (Overpaid £3000 so far), only 11 years to go.

• GranariesgirlGranariesgirl Forumite
    198 posts
    White vinegar with a few drops of essential oil in ( tea tree, lavender, citronella) & shaken up: as fabric softener in my washes, diluted to 20% with water to spritz on the kids' hair to smooth it down & prevent nits & finally used as household cleaner.
    White vinegar straight: for dishwasher instead of rinse liquid, with bicarb for drains & diluted to 30% to clean kettle.
    Been doing this for about 3 years now & the savings are huge!
    :D
    However I get panicky when I'm down to my last 5 litre bottle... today I only have 2 litres left in the house (supermarket out of stock) - eeeek!
    :eek: