Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

White Vinegar Uses - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

White Vinegar Uses

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
78 replies 59.7K views

Replies

• Chris25Chris25 Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ........Cathy, have you tried the tip about wrapping a vinegar-soaked cloth around some cheese?
    Wouldn't it make the cheese smell or taste vinegary? ???
  • 1601199616011996 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    :o don't fancy vinegary cheese.
  • Forgive me if I appear a little thick ! but what is the difference between malt vinegar & white vinegar ? ??? :-[
    Shaz xx
    Living & lovin' life 'down under'.
    There Comes A Point In Your Life When You Realise Who Matters, And Who Never Did, And Who Always Will. So Don't Worry About People In The Past There's A Reason Why They Didn't Make It Into Your Future............
    12.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, good question - perhaps the white is the distilled version, that's why it doesn't smell so much and is colourless. Or perhaps the malt is white with roasted malt added ???
    Come to think of it, I know vinegar is acetic acid but how is it made? ???
  • 1601199616011996 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    cathy has answered this somewhere else, if can find it will try and post link.
  • Lillibet_2Lillibet_2 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chris

I belive vinegar comes from partially fermented apples. Or is it mouldy apples? Actually, what is the diffrence between fermented & mouldy? No, don't even go there ;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • vinegar is merely sour wine or beer

Wine , beer or any liquid containing less than 18% alcohol becomes vinegar when airborne bacteria called acetobacter aceti converts the alcohol into acetic acid. Vinegar is a natural by- product of making alcoholic beverages and its discovery was almost certainly accidental. This discovery was made in different parts of the world independently, and for as long as there have been undistilled alcoholic drinks there has been vinegar.

;D ;D Im not just a pretty face you know
    Snootchie Bootchies!
    12.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Thelma, I'm sure if i re-read it, I'll work it all out ::)

So, when my Auntie had her glass of warm cider vinegar every morning, she was putting good bacteria into her tummy ???

And malt vinegar must be a by-product of beer. Yes I think I'm getting there ;D
  • Lillibet_2Lillibet_2 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't imagine where I got the apple idea from then??? ;D
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • jb84344jb84344 Forumite
    85 posts
    this is my vinegar tip and I'm really proud of it (so don't knock it!!!) ;D

White vinegar still does smell a bit too strong for my liking but I use it for cleaning in my kitchen (wiping down the sides etc) - anyway a friend told me to add essential oils to take away the smell - I've tried lots of different versions with varying degrees of success - grapefruit is quite nice, but you still really get the underlying smell of vinegar.... anyway, my latest is the best yet - I now add vanilla essential oil (quite a few drops) to a cup full of vinegar and just put it in an old squirty bottle - this really smells good - way better than store bought rubbish and cheaper too!
    4oz rice crispies, 4oz butter, 4 mars bars.
    Melt, mix, cool, eat. Yummy! ;)