Speeding Ticket

Hi,

Got a speeding ticket today. It's a fair cop and all that - I remember when it happened and I was doing 39 in a 30. Serves me right - I should be more careful (1st one ever in nearly 20 yrs of driving!)

Anyway, do I have to inform my insurance straight away? Or just when I renew? Also, any idea what the kind of hit my insurance will take? Currently it's not too expensive, about £230 a year, mainly because I've not had an accident for years, and never had a speeding fine.

Thanks

Replies

• HO87HO87 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Bad luck.

If you have no other points then the likelihood of any impact on your premiums is pretty minimal. If you're concerned try a couple dummy quotes on the various online quote sites.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • bargepolebargepole Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Got a speeding ticket today. It's a fair cop and all that - I remember when it happened and I was doing 39 in a 30. Serves me right - I should be more careful (1st one ever in nearly 20 yrs of driving!)

Anyway, do I have to inform my insurance straight away? Or just when I renew? Also, any idea what the kind of hit my insurance will take? Currently it's not too expensive, about £230 a year, mainly because I've not had an accident for years, and never had a speeding fine.

Thanks
    Presumably, what you've actually got is a NIP, together with a demand under s172 to identify the driver within 28 days.

Until you've sent that back, and received a response - most likely a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty, or possibly a speed awareness course, you don't have points on your licence - and if it's the SAC option, you won't have any.

Nothing to tell your insurers until you get your licence back from the DVLA (if necessary), many insurance cos. don't increase premiums at all for just 3 points.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 55, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Ok Thanks for both replies.
  • davetrousersdavetrousers Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you do need to tell your insurance company once the points are applied. Don't wait for renewal. But you shop around at renewal time anyway don't you?

• PimpsliderPimpslider Forumite
    192 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got 3 points last year, around May time. Totally forgot about them. My insurance was due at the start of Feb. When I renewed I told them that I'd forgotten and gave them the details. They were fine about it.

That said, if you did had an accident and they found out about it then I am sure it would void your policy. These companies would do anything not to pay out.
    I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DUMB I AM...
    Like Gary the No-Trash Cougar says: "Give a larbage, throw out your garbage!" Spread the word!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides