help with fine from dvla

hi, i,m not sure if i have the right board but,,
about 3 months or so ago i had a letter from the dvla saying that a car i owned was spotted at a certain place with no tax,and they said that i would be fined if i was the owner at the time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i had just sold the car to someone else so i sent off the letter telling them that i was not the owner at the time it was found with no tax.........anyway ,over the next 3 months i was very ill as i just had a new hip and was having a depressed eppisode which meant that i did not open any mail etc...so i eventually opened my mail and found a letter saying i have been fined £270 for having no tax on a car,,and a letter from dvla saying i had not replyed to their first letter,,but i did reply ,,i even sent it recorded .....as so long as gone by now will i just have to pay the fine or can it still be sorted out...i just had a letter as well last week saying that the fine is being taken from my income support each week...

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you send all the official documents in to DVLA when you sold the car?

Actually I think you will get a better response to this on the motoring board so will move it there for you.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • hi, yes did send all the info off but they sent me a letter saying that the car was spooted with no tax,,do what did they do with my info i sent them?..then i sent another letter telling them the car was sold but i then received a fine
  • CoblcrisCoblcris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Do you have a dated and signed Bill of Sale for the vehicle ?
  • flutterbyuk25flutterbyuk25 Forumite
    7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you still got the recorded delivery slip?

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • i sent the bill of sale off in the first letter and i still have recorded delivery slip
  • kwakskwaks Forumite
    494 Posts
    Hi Michelle. The good news is the law is on your side and you did all that was required of you to do as per the Intepretations act, basically by sending the info by mail then that is that.

Unfortunately the DVLA like to make up their own laws and rules and feel they can disregard those that do not fit in with or suit them.

Essentially you will have to fight them to cancel the fine (can it be deducted from Income Support? Is that not a protected income?). This can be done over the telephone initially, if you happen to catch one with sense, and ultimately through the courts.

I am of course assuming that the vehicle was either fully taxed until you sold it or subject to sorn at that time?
  • flutterbyuk25flutterbyuk25 Forumite
    7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well first off check on the royal mail website that the letter was delievered and signed for by entering the refernece number from the slip here - if it was signed for then you have proof that you sent it.

Write back (do not ring as they will not accept an appeal via telephone) with a photocopy of your recorded delivery slip and state the date/time/name of person who signed for it at their office and state that you have already responded. Include in the letter the date of sale of vehcile, who sold to (if known), registration mark and make/model. Also explain that you have been ill which has delayed your correspondance.

When you sent the notification of sale did you send that by recorded by any chance? Either way if it had been received by DVLA then you would have gotten a confirmation letter back stating that you were no longer the keeper as of x date. If you have this letter send a photocopy too.

HTH

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • kwakskwaks Forumite
    494 Posts
    The letter does not need to have been sent recorded delivery, so although a confirmation of delivery is useful it is not critical. Just the fact you sent it is enough.

As to the letter of confirmation from DVLA, the non receipt of one is not your problem, seeing as they tell you you should recieve AFTER so many weeks, but no date or time limit is stated where you could definatively say it was not forth coming.

Have a read of this thread, details a similar defence used in court.

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=2337728
  • CoblcrisCoblcris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    You sent a copy of the Bill of Sale I hope.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides