Car Deposit by Credit Card - Refund Request

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
3 replies 3.7K views
dave200_2dave200_2 Forumite
4 Posts
Paid a deposit on a car a few days ago by credit card over the phone. The agreement was that i was going to see if i could finance and let the garage know later that day if I could proceed with the purchase. I agreed to pay 50 pounds refundable deposit.

I called the garage back 3 hours later to say I couldnt get finance on the car and I requested the refund. The sales manager said he couldnt do that as it was non-refundable and that it was 500 pounds not 50 and that it was charged to my card and there was nothing he could do. He said the original sales person claims he told me it was non refundable and that it was my word against his. He told me it was non refundable as I agreed to purchase the car. He said he would not refund but that he would allow me to use the 500 against any other car in stock. When I said I just wanted the refund he said he didnt have time for this and hung up on me.

I called my credit card company and they are telling me they cannot help. What can I do? I cannot afford to loose this money and I feel very cheated and am getting depressed! The garage are not taking my calls. I never agreed to any purchase and I never signed anything, how can this happen? So much for credit card protection - again I agreed to a refundable deposit of 50 pounds, not a non refundable deposit of 500 pounds.

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals