Fee for mortgage advice ... Barclays

edited 22 February 2010 at 7:07PM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
2 replies 1K views
Kitty_Cat_5Kitty_Cat_5 Forumite
2 Posts
Hi, I wonder if anyone is able to help me.

Last May my fiance approached Barclays Bank about switching his 2 mortgages to them. He was shown to a 'mortgage advisor', who then had someone else sit in to 'make sure she did it properly!'

The chat went on for about 2 hours during which he gave details of his exsiting mortgages and what he was looking for. The 'mortgage advisor', duly entered all the information and she said she would contact him to let him know what, if anything they were prepared to offer.

My fiance does not recall signing any documents that included a fee or indeed supplying them with authorisation to withdraw money from his account which, incidently was not with Barclays.

He never heard anything from them by either mail or telephone and he assumed that they were unable to offer him what he wanted. So you can imagine our surprise when almost 6 months later our bank statement showed up a withdrawal for £150.00 for 'Barclays Mortgage'.

We contacted the 'Mortgage Advisor', and she stated that the fee was levied as my fiance 'never got back to them', with what he wanted to do about the mortgage!!!

Er now I'm reasonably intelligent...but what mortgage offer??? And to take money from our account nearly 6 months later!!! When challenged with this, she then stated that she had 'tried to call us but we didn't answer our phone'. Well we only have mobile phones...and they have a missed call facility and something called an answerphone where messages can be left...!!!!!

We are now very angry about this as she is unable/unwilling to provide us with a signed document that allows Barclays to withdraw this 'fee'.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or is able to offer advice on what to do next. I fully intend to lodge a complaint but need some advice on the best way to do this.

I hope someone can help.

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    He was shown to a 'mortgage advisor', who then had someone else sit in to 'make sure she did it properly!'

So in other words, a trainee under supervision.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or is able to offer advice on what to do next. I fully intend to lodge a compaint but need some advice on the best way to do this.

They have to supply a fee agreement or something that showed the fee was agreed. If they dont then they cant enforce the fee.

Put your complaint in writing like you have here but dont mention the "'make sure she did it properly" bit as you want your complaint to be as plain speak and professional as possible.
  • Thank you Dunstonh... I shall make sure it is professional ...they were her exact words.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals