Credit card cheque to pay off mortgage

Hope I am in the right place for this question.

I have an unused credit card with Abbey, they sent me a bundle of cheques with interest free credit until April 07 (a fee of max £75) is payable.

I have a flexible mortgage with Alliance at a rate of 5.4, if I paid £10,000 of the Abbey free credit into my mortgage how much would I save in interest between now and April.

My thoughts were to do this, adjust the monthly paymanet I make to the mortgage to cover the minimum payment to Abbey, then in April take the cash from my mortgage to pay the crediot card back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Angus

Replies

• dangdang Forumite
    157 Posts
    I work it out at about £250.

I would do it - in fact i do every time i do a stooze,its just that my cash goes into a savings account,and not an offset.
  • XbigmanXbigman Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Aren't checks used this way treated as cash withdrawals? Its worth asking this question on the credit card board.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • kenshazkenshaz Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    The cheques are a waste of time,they will charge as if you had drawn the cash out of an ATM machine,not suitable for stoozing
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • PoorDavePoorDave Forumite
    952 Posts
    500 Posts
    Xbigman wrote:
    Aren't checks used this way treated as cash withdrawals? Its worth asking this question on the credit card board.
    Regards

X

Not always. Look at card terms & conditions
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    kenshaz wrote:
    The cheques are a waste of time,they will charge as if you had drawn the cash out of an ATM machine,not suitable for stoozing
    MBNA (who run the Abbey card) are having a big push at the moment on 0% offers.

OP has already stated the cheques are 0% for the best part of 9 months.

During this period, the monthly minimum payments are £5.

The equivalent interest rate, in a flexible mortgage, is 6.75% for a basic rate tax-payer, and 9% for a higher rate tax-payer.

...and you say "not suitable for stoozing". :confused:
  • skaffskaff Forumite
    61 Posts
    Would another option be the occasional low rate CCs that offer a flat rate for the life of the balance. I have an M&S card with 8K that is 3.9% for the life of the balance. If i hadn't used it to consolidate other cards :( i could have taken 8K of my mortgage instead.........couldn't i?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals