Thanks to those who participated in our 'Ask An Expert: Scams' event. Scam expert MSE Katie's video answers are available to watch on the board now.

JSA (Income based) overpayment

Can someone please advise the maximum that can be deducted per week for overpayment purposes if on JSA (income based).

Replies

• NASA_2NASA_2 Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    I'm not sure that there is a maximum. I've seen as much as £30 being taken from someones money.
  • vonvon Forumite
    539 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    For recovery of overpayments, the maximum deduction is usually £9.75 except in fraud cases, where a higher amount of up to £13.00 will be deducted. These deductions can be reduced by negotiation.
    For details of how recovery of Social Fund loans is made see Law Centre (NI) Encyclopedia of Social Welfare Rights A.6 Social Fund.
  • Eager_ElephantEager_Elephant Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was recently told by the Jobcentre that as long as they left someone a reasonable amount of money they could take as much as they like.

I think they quoted 50p or £1.00 as being reasonable.

I have seen some high deductions in my time but have always managed to get them reduced by producing a financial statement.

EE
  • NASA_2NASA_2 Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    I was recently told by the Jobcentre that as long as they left someone a reasonable amount of money they could take as much as they like.

I think they quoted 50p or £1.00 as being reasonable.

I have seen some high deductions in my time but have always managed to get them reduced by producing a financial statement.

EE
    I've seen someone left with just the 10p. That was a bit extreme I though.
  • Gary1963Gary1963 Forumite
    285 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They start at £9.75 usually. Then if you ask for it to be reduced they ask you to complete an expenditure form with your offer of payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals