Lots of Booze!!

Hi,

We're in the early stages of planning our wedding for approx 60 people (haven't picked the venue but would like a hotel) and want our guests to have plenty of booze during the afternoon/evening and ideally don't want them to have to pay for it :beer:

We've been to far too many weddings where the venue bars have been vastly overpriced, the wine during the meal stingy and poor quality and a half glass of champers is all you get for the toast.

We would ideally like a free bar but think that a few people would take the p*** and also have visions of half empty glasses left around.

I thought a good way to do this would be to buy our own booze, put say 3 litres of various spirits, several mixers and maybe 2-3 bottles of red and white on each dinner table. If guests want something different or this runs out later on then they can buy it themselves from the bar.

Do many venues allow you to supply your own booze for the wedding? How much is corkage generally? We'd ideally like the wedding to be held at a hotel but don't know if they'd even allow bottles of spirit to be brought in.

If anyone has any other ideas on how to ensure our guests have lots of good quality booze then I'd love to hear!:p

Thankyou in advance...

Comments

• frannyann
    frannyann Posts: 10,970
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In our venue the corkage would have cost as much as buying from them anyway!!
    How about putting a set amount behind the bar and then they cough up once thats done? The only other way would be to hire a venue without a bar and supply your own.
    :rotfl:Ahahah got my signature removed for claiming MSE thought it was too boring :rotfl:
  • Toothfairy4
    Toothfairy4 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    I know a few venues I have looked at don't allow you to bring in spirits, wine only. Corkage that I have seen can be up to £10 a bottle, bit ridiculous but the venue obv want ppl to buy from them rather than bring booze in.
  • Charliezoo
    Charliezoo Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    frannyann wrote: »
    In our venue the corkage would have cost as much as buying from them anyway!!
    How about putting a set amount behind the bar and then they cough up once thats done? The only other way would be to hire a venue without a bar and supply your own.

Thought about this but unfortunately I'm worried that some people would end up with lots more to drink then others, e.g. elderly relatives might end up with nothing if they're not quick enough and certain 'pushy' people might drink the tab dry :o . I've also heard of venues conning people by telling guests that they have to pay for drinks well before the money behind the bar has actually run out - I guess you really have to trust the bar staff with that.

Thinking about looking for a venue with no bar but want the ceremony, meal and evening reception to be all in one place so don't know how easy this will be to find??
  • hmm we were thinking of a few quid behind the bar now i see what you say about conning bar staff am a bit worried to do that!
  • Dizzie77
    Dizzie77 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    I went to a wedding once where each guest had a couple of "drinks tokens" as part of their favour....it could be redeemed at the bar for a drink of the persons choice.

Not everyone wanted all of their tokens (I think we had 3 each) and so there was a lot of exchanging tokens....
    Maybe that's an idea? You can make up your own "money" with yours and OH's picture on maybe???

The tokens were just counted against a tab and the happy couple paid the tab the next morning.

Just an idea....
    Why does nobody say Thank You anymore??:mad:
    Debt Free as of September 2011 :j
    Sealed Pot 2009 number 334 - £100 Saved! yey!!
    Sealed Pot 2010 number 334 - £116.51 Saved! Yey!! YIPPEE!!
  • Charliezoo wrote: »
    Thought about this but unfortunately I'm worried that some people would end up with lots more to drink then others, e.g. elderly relatives might end up with nothing if they're not quick enough and certain 'pushy' people might drink the tab dry :o . I've also heard of venues conning people by telling guests that they have to pay for drinks well before the money behind the bar has actually run out - I guess you really have to trust the bar staff with that.

Thinking about looking for a venue with no bar but want the ceremony, meal and evening reception to be all in one place so don't know how easy this will be to find??

May seem a bit tacky but one wedding i went to they put money behind the bar (as u really wont find many venues who will let u do what u want to do!) and gave little "vouchers" for drinks to people on their place settings...think we got 3 drinks each. SO nobody nicked all the drink too quickly and everyone was sorted! sounds tacky but it really was good!! :j
    Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We can't take our own at all at our venue and they won't do corkage which is a bummer!!

Last venue we went to, they wanted £5 a bottle of wine and £7 a bottle of sparkling!!

bigmomma, that's what are gonna do ~ why/how on earth would that be tacky???

We were going to have Bucks Fizz served with the canapes, but then we thought most people don't actually LIKE it, they just drink it to be sociable lol, so we're gonna give out tokens to hand in behind the bar and then pick the tab up.

They won't say "entitles the bearer to one free drink" or anything like that, they'll be just a shape, say a snowflake for instance.

That can be the best man's job I think ;) (Wont put them in invites incase people forget them, or lose them before the wedding date)
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Dizzie77
    Dizzie77 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Shell - I actually like bucks fizz, but not so keen on champagne...!!
    but a friend of mine welcomed her guests with Tequila Sunrises (and a non alcoholic version) - which was a pleasant surprise!!
    Why does nobody say Thank You anymore??:mad:
    Debt Free as of September 2011 :j
    Sealed Pot 2009 number 334 - £100 Saved! yey!!
    Sealed Pot 2010 number 334 - £116.51 Saved! Yey!! YIPPEE!!
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dizzie77 wrote: »
    Shell - I actually like bucks fizz, but not so keen on champagne...!!
    but a friend of mine welcomed her guests with Tequila Sunrises (and a non alcoholic version) - which was a pleasant surprise!!

I don't mind it either but I know not that many people in my family like it much, plus it's £3.65 a glass (!!) so I know the blokes would rather have a pints and the women have wine, plus it will be cheaper all round.

We're meant to be going to see the woman at the venue in Feb, so I may ask her about other drinks, thanks for the idea! ~ we just have the bog standard usual drinks list you see x
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • frannyann
    frannyann Posts: 10,970
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I like the idea of 'beer tokens' LOL, if they are on the table with a little note saying something like: 'Please enjoy a drink on us to celebrate the day'??
    As our guests are getting two glasses of Pimms, half a bottle of wine and a glass of champange, we felt that was enough 'on us' so to speak!!
    :rotfl:Ahahah got my signature removed for claiming MSE thought it was too boring :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure