Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Monthly overpayment or annual lump sums?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
4 replies 914 views
bubblybeebubblybee Forumite
126 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
I tried searching but couldn't find the answer,

Is it better to pay a monthly over payment of £100 or an annual overpayment of £1200 or 3 year overpayment of £3600 at the end of my fixed term?

The key mortgage info is a 30 year mortgage starting at £150,000 at a rate of 5.99% fixed for 3 years.

If there is a thread which helps me look at all options, please can you point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks.
A big thank you to everyone who contibutes to the MSE forums :T

Replies

• Queen-Bee_2Queen-Bee_2 Forumite
    828 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi BB,

It'll partly depend on how your interest is calculated. If it's daily or monthly, then the benefits of paying off will hit your account sooner rather than later. If annually (though I am not sure how many products, if any, use this method these days) then it might make more sense to keep it in a high interest account (not many of these around either these days alas) until the end of the year. As your interest rate is quite high, it's most unlikely you'll get a better return on a savings account at present. You do need to check the particular details of your mortgage product!

Not sure of any specific threads that answer your query, but I hope this helps. Best of luck!
    QB
  • As Queen-Bee said.
    Some lenders do not like the hassle of dealing with small overpayments so they allow a minimum lump sum overpayment such as £500 or £1000. Research your overpayment options with your lender.
    Pay the minimum lump sum as often as you can if lump sums are all you can overpay.

I am fortunate in that I am allowed to overpay up to £500 a month. I can also pay as little as £1 as often as everyday. I used to overpay twice per month. First just after the first of the month and second a week before pay day. This was when I was uncertain with my budget and had little savings to correct mistakes.

I now overpay the maximum the day after pay day. I also requested permission to move my mortgage repayment date to be this day also. Thus I do not lose interest on money left in a current account waiting for the lender to take it. If I was to be paid over the weekend the I would be paid the Friday before.

Where possible make your overpayments on a Monday or Tuesday to avoid them getting stuck in the banking system over the weekend or bank holiday.
    J_B.
  • MarieAAPMarieAAP Forumite
    278 Posts
    Joe_Bloggs wrote: »
    Where possible make your overpayments on a Monday or Tuesday to avoid them getting stuck in the banking system over the weekend or bank holiday.J_B.

Thats a good suggestion!
    M
  • Thank you for all your help. The mortgage lady was trying to put me off making monthly over payments for what she considered to be such small amounts but I think given the interest is calculated monthly it makes sense to do it that way given that savings rates are so poor.
    A big thank you to everyone who contibutes to the MSE forums :T
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals