Birthdays taking ages to charge Debit Cards

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
3 replies 540 views
bellbell Forumite
362 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
I bought somethings from Birthdays back at the end of April this year. Then completly forgot about the transactions. It was only for a very small amount so i didnt really need to make sure it had came from my account.

Much to my horror it was taken on the 28th June sending my account overdrawn.

I am about to complain to Birthdays that their complete ineptitude has cost me money (I am aware that technically I am to blame). I am hoping that they will agree to pay my bank charges (or partially pay them).

Eight weeks is ridiculous to charge a Debit Card
Total Value of wins in 2009: £900 appox. 2010: £730
Wins 2011: Carlisle Utd Tickets (twice!), Baby Food Hamper, Straighteners, Chugginton Toy

Replies

• AstarothAstaroth Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It isnt surprising that they take a long time to charge.... they are a large national company so not desperate for the cash and given the average transaction is probably under £5 they dont get many card payments (it was only this year that I found out you could even pay by card in a card shop). Much easier for them to just store them up until there is a decent number to run.

Agree with Al Mac - 100% your own fault
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • likabu_2likabu_2 Forumite
    408 Posts
    I have noticed this too. The Birthdays store that I use has a Thorntons outlet within it, so I would imagine card transactions quite often go above £5. Took about 5 weeks for my spend of £8.59 to be debited from my account.

Lisa
    Brassic!
  • mitchbmitchb Forumite
    645 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I believe that under the terms of the switch system that companies have up to 6 months from the date you authorise the transaction to actually debit the funds from the account.

Birthdays may point to the op's ineptitude to manage their accounts or ineptitude to understand the terms of the payment method you chose to use.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals