Deceitful buyer....I'm fuming!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
10 replies 2.1K views
jmtjmt Forumite
279 Posts
I’m sat typing this as a way to vent my frustration :mad:

I recently sold a ring to a buyer in Germany. He received it on 7.12.09 and I never heard anything from him for 11 days, when he contacted me on the 18th it was to say item was SNAD and his final email was

either, you incur the cost for resizing the ring PLUS transfer me the rest of the shipping cost back

or

you take your ring back.
you know I write based on the facts.

Well I know the ring was the size I described/sold it as (UK H) and I sent it FOC as it was a BIN.

I have just looked at my buyers selling activity on Goofbay for the last 3 months and he listed the ring for sale using my pictures. When his listing finished on 18th unsold, he then contacted Paypal stating SNAD which put a hold on my account.

I have no problem with buyers buying to resell, but I am fuming that he bought, could not sell and then lied to get his money back :mad:

Replies

• Hi get the evidence together and inform ebay. We had a buyer who tried to say that we had mis sold an item. Ebay suspended our account but when we showed them the proof they suspended his acount and gave him a verbal warning .
  • ask him to send it back if hes not happy and refund and end the transaction - why should you pay to resize the ring..?!
  • kirstiexkirstiex Forumite
    175 Posts
    I agree with Lolababy and Jumbojuice's advice... contact him to say you are happy to give refund on receipt of the ring back AND report them to ebay with the evidence/email - that way ebay can see you have done all you can to resolve the problem amicably.

I also add a watermark of my ebay user ID to all my photos now - to prevent others using my photos - this seems to be happening a lot lately. There is free software in the internet to do this - it's marvellous!!!
  • Sunshine12Sunshine12 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    kirstiex wrote: »

I also add a watermark of my ebay user ID to all my photos now - to prevent others using my photos - this seems to be happening a lot lately. There is free software in the internet to do this - it's marvellous!!!

That sounds good. Can you give the web address pls? Thanks!
    :smileyhea
  • JMW77JMW77 Forumite
    811 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    What i s Goofbay?
  • kirstiexkirstiex Forumite
    175 Posts
    Sunshine12 wrote: »
    That sounds good. Can you give the web address pls? Thanks!

There are a few sites but this ones seems to work best for me:

http://www.watermark.ws/
  • pitkin2020pitkin2020 Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    most photo software (like adobe photoshop) will add a watermark also which i also use now as im sick of the lazy people on ebay using my images, i also stopped reporting them to ebay as it just takes ages for them to do anything about it, i found that by emailing the seller with a cease and desist letter they soon removed it sharpish as i take copyright infringement very seriously
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • JMW77 wrote: »
    What i s Goofbay?
    Google it :rolleyes:
    Back on MSE after a 5 year hiatus.

:heart2: Rhi :heart2:
  • jmtjmt Forumite
    279 Posts
    kirstiex wrote: »
    I agree with Lolababy and Jumbojuice's advice... contact him to say you are happy to give refund on receipt of the ring back AND report them to ebay with the evidence/email - that way ebay can see you have done all you can to resolve the problem amicably.

Thanks for this and for all your replies.

I said that I would offer a refund when he contacted me on the 18th, but I knew that he was trying it on. All of my rings are a size H, so for him to say that it was a J and would need resizing for his wife, well I knew it was bo......!

A ring and the certificates have been returned to me and are going to the jewellers today for authentication (it looks like my ring, but further investigation into this buyer and I would not trust him not to switch my certificated diamond).

I will report him to ebay and Paypal as I think what he has done is underhand and not what buyer protection is all about. I had other people watching my listing and what will they think if I relist - and he could leave me negative feedback.

Sorry, I just needed to vent my frustration and get some independent views.
  • RHemmingsRHemmings Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Gimp (https://www.gimp.org) can also be used to add watermarks to photos. And, unlike Photoshop, it's legally free.

Here's a tutorial, and a plugin for watermarking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/travisatwork/2898210849/
    http://registry.gimp.org/node/6703

If anyone is installing The Gimp for the first time, they should be aware that the first time you run it, it does wait for a very long time checking fonts, and some people think it's crashed. You just need to leave it and do something else for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals