Ebay scammer - advice pls

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
15 replies 1.6K views
kirstiexkirstiex Forumite
175 Posts
Hi
I reported on here a couple of weeks ago about a transaction I stupidly completed outside of ebay and waived good bye to a chq £150 - I am now taking that person to small claims.

I noticed this person was still trading on ebay and had just received another negative feedback so I contacted that person. This person is in the US and there is no small claims procedure for them but they are £150 down and paid via Paypal - seemingly into the ebayer's friends account. The person in the US was contacted by someone today who has also been scammed and the 3 of us have been conversing about our experiences - it now appears the ebay user is no longer registered. Unfortunately we were all pursuaded to do deals outside of ebay so have recourse there but although I paid with chq they both used paypal. Can anything be done about this person either with help of ebay/paypal or otherwise? How can they get away with this - I have their name, address, phone number, email and even bank details - of course these could be fake but they do seem to match up against electoral register.

I'm so very very p****d off they have done this to others too :mad::mad::mad:

Any ideas?

Replies

• pitkin2020pitkin2020 Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ebay or paypal i very much doubt wont help, if hes no longer a registered user they cant ban him as he is gone.
    Ebay will only protect for transactions completed following there procedure which you didnt.

Sorry but other than small claims i cant see much more you can do
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • i'd phone them to see if its a genuine person. Also try e-mailing. I did this after they tried to palm me off about my Will Young tickets and eventually got a refund, it was a mighty long wait though!
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Have read that US Law enforcement tend to take these matters more seriously than in the UK

You could see if the info at The Internet Crime Complaint Center is of any help

as i am unable post links leave out the spaces

http:// www. ic3.gov
  • kirstiexkirstiex Forumite
    175 Posts
    vickypark3 wrote: »
    Have read that US Law enforcement tend to take these matters more seriously than in the UK

You could see if the info at The Internet Crime Complaint Center is of any help

as i am unable post links leave out the spaces

http:// www. ic3.gov

Vicky - thanks for the advice and link - I have forwarded to the US buyer that has been scammed to see if this helps their cause. Will keep you posted
  • Oops sorry misread the question and thought the seller was in the US so I dont think that link will be of any use for a problem with a seller in the UK!

Even though the payments were sent to the sellers friends paypal account, Would the US buyers not be covered by the buyer complaint policy?
    175 Posts
    vickypark3 wrote: »
    Oops sorry misread the question and thought the seller was in the US so I dont think that link will be of any use for a problem with a seller in the UK!

Even though the payments were sent to the sellers friends paypal account, Would the US buyers not be covered by the buyer complaint policy?

I'm not sure - they completed the deal outside of ebay but as Paypal can be used for transactions other than ebay I guess there must be some resolution centre for these sorts of cases. I can't believe otherwise that this seller can get away with this?? I will pass on this advice tho ...:o
  • firesidemaidfiresidemaid Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭
    have you tried contacting consumer direct or even the police?
    175 Posts
    Yes - i contacted consumer direct after my suspicions were raised by them not replying to any of my emails once they'd had the chq.

Of the 2 other people that have been scammed one lives in the US and the other in Ireland and they both paid via paypal. I'm not sure if Ireland have consumer direct but I have made this a suggestion to him all the same.

Would their local police be interested in this? Interesting when trying to find out if someone actually lived at the address I posted chq to I managed to phone a couple of their neighbours and one went so far to say that she didn't know them well but police were regularly visiting their property!

As I'm pursuing via small claims I'm not sure whether I should get the police involved now but at the same time am :mad: soooo angry :mad: they can get away with this sort of behaviour.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If they paid with paypal then they can persue the seller for item not received and under the new rules (which are probably too late for this situation) they would be guaranteed their money back.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    175 Posts
    soolin wrote: »
    If they paid with paypal then they can persue the seller for item not received and under the new rules (which are probably too late for this situation) they would be guaranteed their money back.

I'm not sure they can do 'item not received' because whilst they paid via paypal they didn't complete the sale via ebay (both were encouraged to complete the deal privately - I believe a price was agreed and then listing removed)?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals