Chester Primark

Does anyone know when the chester Primark is opening?
£100 - £10,000

Replies

• laura2506laura2506 Forumite
    459 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had no idea there were plans to open one. Where is it going?
    I am back in work tomorrow. I'll ask around to see if anyone knows :)
  • MORPH3USMORPH3US Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Not sure on the latest but apparently was to do with delays in getting planning permission for changes to the building.
  • EllideeEllidee Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    laura2506 wrote: »
    I had no idea there were plans to open one. Where is it going?
    I am back in work tomorrow. I'll ask around to see if anyone knows :)

Where Woolworths used to be ! :cool:
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • laura2506laura2506 Forumite
    459 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ellidee wrote: »
    Where Woolworths used to be ! :cool:

Thanks.
    Since Woolies closed, I had a feeling thats where it would go if they were ever to open one.
  • FatAndyFatAndy Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    I was speaking to someone who lives in Chester about the new Primark ten months ago. Either they've hit some major obstacles or it was all just an unsubstantiated rumour.
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
  • edited 4 January 2010 at 8:07PM
    SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    edited 4 January 2010 at 8:07PM
    It's not unsubstantiated rumour. See http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?storycode=3134162

From the builders website
    Pochin Construction Ltd has been awarded a key contract by Redevco UK to transform the former Woolworths store on Foregate Street in Chester, which will become home to clothes retail giant, Primark.
    Following a six-way competitive tender, Pochin Construction was awarded the contract to carry out the agreed works, and started on site at the beginning of June with work scheduled to take 25 weeks to complete. This store will be first Primark in the city and when the store opens in 2010, will create more than 200 employment opportunities.
    However there does not seem to be much evidence of any work when I went past it on Saturday
  • BiffoBethBiffoBeth Forumite
    147 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    It's not unsubstantiated rumour. See http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?storycode=3134162

From the builders website

However there does not seem to be much evidence of any work when I went past it on Saturday

I work in Queen Street opposite the new Primark site and the latest we heard was it is due to open in September 2010.
    2008 wins - Mobile Big Snap II, Perona Bottle Opener
    2009 win - Cadburys Chocolate Pack, Monopoly Deal cards, So Fragrance Lipgloss. 5 x Galaxy books, 5 x Mars Footballs, 1 x Cricket Ball

AIM: Get slim for my ickle Sisters wedding in Nov 2011 - ahhh 2 stone to go...
  • miamoomiamoo Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Thanks very much everyone, Its taking long enough!
    £100 - £10,000
  • edited 10 January 2010 at 5:07PM
    taxiphiltaxiphil Forumite
    2K Posts
    edited 10 January 2010 at 5:07PM
    Strange that it's taking so long. The premises was a C&A until they pulled out of the UK in 2001 and Woolworths took it over. Shortly before C&A handed it over, they'd just refitted it to a high standard of clothing department store - escalators, lifts, etc (all very 'modern' looking) and Woolworths kept it that way even though it never really suited their retail format.

Can't see why any major work would need doing to re-open it as a Primark, or why there would be any planning issues as it has a history of being a large clothes store anyway.
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    The latest from this week's Chester Chronicle is that Primark have had their plans for the revised shop front approved.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals