Rings too CHEAP? and the perils of buying a dress off eBay...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
32 replies 2.9K views
alenaxalenax Forumite
303 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
Hey everyone, I'm so glad I found this board! The OH is getting really fed up with me rabbiting on about weddings now and my best friend lives halfway across the country so it is kinda difficult to catch her.

Anyway, I was doing my wedding budget today (one of those helpful sheets in a magazine) and realised I had no idea how much wedding rings cost. I looked in Argos and a 2mm white gold wedding band costs £12... is that even possible? And what's the catch?

Speaking of catches, has anyone ever bought a wedding dress off eBay? They look exactly the same on photos as they do in shops (where they're priced 10 times as much) and they're made in China and I'm willing to bet my entire budget on the dresses in shops being made in exactly the same place as well. So is this a viable idea? Or am I better off renting a dress or spending £300-ish on one?
«134

Replies

  • Mr_squishyMr_squishy Forumite
    71 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    I bought a White Gold engagement ring from argos and had nothing but trouble. 1st one snapped after 2 weeks of normal wear. We then had to wait 2 weeks for a replacement, and then that one snapped after three weeks. Both snapped within 30 mins of leaving the swimming pool.

    I took the second ring round to several jewllers including a friend, and they all said the gold was "porus". Took it back to argos and decided for a refund this time and bought another from a jewller. They said that no ring should just snap, and that swimming should not cause any problem.

    My fiancee has been wearing the new ring now for over a year, and it survives a weekly trip to the swimming pool.
  • frannyannfrannyann Forumite
    11K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got Palladium rings, they are a fraction of the cost of Paltimum but look the same! As for dresses, there is a good Landy thread on here, take a read. Although I got mine in a sample sale in a bridal shop reduced from £800 to £500 then further haggled down to £300, and will cost about £50-£75 to alter to fit!
    Haggling will be your friend!
    :rotfl:Ahahah got my signature removed for claiming MSE thought it was too boring :rotfl:
  • alenax wrote: »

    Speaking of catches, has anyone ever bought a wedding dress off eBay? They look exactly the same on photos as they do in shops (where they're priced 10 times as much) and they're made in China and I'm willing to bet my entire budget on the dresses in shops being made in exactly the same place as well. So is this a viable idea? Or am I better off renting a dress or spending £300-ish on one?

    In all honesty, buying from a shop and spending £300 ish is the lower end of the budget. Personally I think you have to be looking at £500 +.
    The chinese like Landy/Milly don't use the same manufacturers as the likes of many designers who use offshore factories. I'm often approached from china to see if I'm interested in having my stuff manufactured!
    My honest opinion, and the impression that I get from many who use these companies are that the dresses are perfectly adequate, but the foundation can be a bit iffy ie, the boning.

    I'm going to plug the dressmaing industry now. There are many UK based dressmakers just like me who are great at what they do but don't have the "reputation" like many of the "upper market" dressmakers/designers.
    Quite often a bride will seek out a designer. Have something sketched up and then the said designer who employs a seamstress will make up the said design. Obviously, you have to pay for this service.

    Many dressmakers like me often are provided with an image so the design is already there. We source the relevent patterns/fabrics (without breaking copyright issues) and provide the client with her wonderful wedding gown. To this day i've never made anything which breaks the £650 barrier and this is for silk.
    I'm not a great fan of the chinese but they provide a service which meets many ladies criteria.
    HTH xx
  • laura2481laura2481 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    alenax wrote: »
    Anyway, I was doing my wedding budget today (one of those helpful sheets in a magazine) and realised I had no idea how much wedding rings cost. I looked in Argos and a 2mm white gold wedding band costs £12... is that even possible? And what's the catch?

    Speaking of catches, has anyone ever bought a wedding dress off eBay? They look exactly the same on photos as they do in shops (where they're priced 10 times as much) and they're made in China and I'm willing to bet my entire budget on the dresses in shops being made in exactly the same place as well. So is this a viable idea? Or am I better off renting a dress or spending £300-ish on one?

    Hi alenax :hello: Whe you thinking of getting married? (this is not relevent, I'm just nosy :rotfl:) We are thinking 29/5/2011 but only got engaged christmas eve so lots of stuff to do yet...

    Anyways, re the rings. Get out a ruler and look at how wide 2mm is. It is very very thin, that is why they are so cheap and i wouldn't be surprised if they DID snap they are so thin. If I were you I would get the best you can afford, and save money somewhere else. After all, the wedding is one day. The rings are forever. (hopefully :o)

    As for the wedding dresses from ebay/china. These are copies of the designers in shops. They look at the designs and do a 'nearest match' sort of thing. A lot of people have been happy with their dresses though.. see the Landy bridal thread. It depends entirely whether you feel you can risk the money on something you may not be entirely happy with.... I think it's a bit of gamble and would rather pay a bit more for something I can actually see...

    try places like Debenhams, Monsoon or M&S for their lower cost dresses. :)
  • frannyannfrannyann Forumite
    11K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lindaatno9 wrote: »
    In all honesty, buying from a shop and spending £300 ish is the lower end of the budget. Personally I think you have to be looking at £500 +.
    The chinese like Landy/Milly don't use the same manufacturers as the likes of many designers who use offshore factories. I'm often approached from china to see if I'm interested in having my stuff manufactured!
    My honest opinion, and the impression that I get from many who use these companies are that the dresses are perfectly adequate, but the foundation can be a bit iffy ie, the boning.

    I'm going to plug the dressmaing industry now. There are many UK based dressmakers just like me who are great at what they do but don't have the "reputation" like many of the "upper market" dressmakers/designers.
    Quite often a bride will seek out a designer. Have something sketched up and then the said designer who employs a seamstress will make up the said design. Obviously, you have to pay for this service.

    Many dressmakers like me often are provided with an image so the design is already there. We source the relevent patterns/fabrics (without breaking copyright issues) and provide the client with her wonderful wedding gown. To this day i've never made anything which breaks the £650 barrier and this is for silk.
    I'm not a great fan of the chinese but they provide a service which meets many ladies criteria.
    HTH xx

    Please, please listen to Linda, she is our oracle on all things dress related. She has made stuff for many of us, so has many of us happy to recommend her!
    :rotfl:Ahahah got my signature removed for claiming MSE thought it was too boring :rotfl:
  • Lets not be too hasty in judging ebay; I got my dress on there for £25! From a lovely little local bridal shop in manchester selling off their sample dresses, I was quite lucky really in that it was the perfect fit - an eternity bridal sample, really pretty :) Keep your eyes peeled for UK based bargains!

    In terms of bargain rings, why don't you take a look at metals like palladium / tungsten / titanium? They're way cheaper and just as pretty / hard wearing as platinum / decent gold! NB if your engagement ring is gold though, a harder metal may damage it over time if worn together..!

    x
  • We aren't judging e bay at all because there are some total gems out there to be had. Especially in the 2nd hand market.
  • frannyannfrannyann Forumite
    11K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Savvy, in no way am I putting down Ebay, some of the dresses on there from UK dress shops are fantastic value, even been tempted myself even though I have a dress! I was commenting on the fact that you can get a dress from the UK for not much more than Landy/Milly type places, if you shop around and look at people such as Linda!
    :rotfl:Ahahah got my signature removed for claiming MSE thought it was too boring :rotfl:
  • edited 1 January 2010 at 8:05PM
    PitlanepigletPitlanepiglet Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 January 2010 at 8:05PM
    We bought our wedding rings from Ebay - hubby's was £19 for titanium and mine was £35 for antique (yes that's second hand!) 18ct gold set with 5 diamond chips. I love my ring, we were skint and everything I liked was £2k plus until I saw this one and it fitted perfectly.

    I also bought my Maggie Sotterro dress on ebay for £199 - it was a shop sample but was perfectly clean and wearable. The advantage of Maggie S is that with a corset back you don't end up paying vast amounts for alterations. My friend's mum is a dressmaker and she took it up for me. I couldn't have afforded a dress like it at full price and given our timescale I couldn't have ordered anything.

    I then gave it to one of our secretaries at work and she wore it for a her wedding a year later - so one dress, two weddings for £199!

    I was wary of the chinese sellers but I'd certainly go for a sample or old stock being sold.
    Piglet
  • laura2481laura2481 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    We bought our wedding rings from Ebay - hubby's was £19 for titanium and mine was £35 for antique (yes that's second hand!) 18ct gold set with 5 diamond chips. I love my ring, we were skint and everything I liked was £2k plus until I saw this one and it fitted perfectly.

    I also bought my Maggie Sotterro dress on ebay for £199 - it was a shop sample but was perfectly clean and wearable. The advantage of Maggie S is that with a corset back you don't end up paying vast amounts for alterations. My friend's mum is a dressmaker and she took it up for me. I couldn't have afforded a dress like it at full price and given our timescale I couldn't have ordered anything.

    I then gave it to one of our secretaries at work and she wore it for a her weeding a year later - so one dress, two weddings for £199!

    I was wary of the chinese sellers but I'd certainly go for a sample or old stock being sold.

    How MSE you are piglet :D

    I am wanting to look around antique stores in York for my engagement rine (OH bought me a temporary ring for the proposal but is letting me pick my own 'real' ring) I've seen some very good value rings in antique shops- even platinum ones. With a bit of hunting around I bet you can find good value wedding rings too. i don't ind the fact that the are second hand if they are old- feels like they have history...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals