Sellers not sending items recorded

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
14 replies 1.3K views
laurajane7777laurajane7777 Forumite
37 Posts
I have bought 2 things on ebay in the last few weeks

one an xmas gift, the other something for myself

both listings saying will be sent recorded delivery, which is what made me choose these sellers over other ones, as recorded mail has a better chance of getting through usually

and both items have gone missing:(

so when chasing them up with the sellers, oh dear they've forgot to send them recorded.
i have been given refunds, but that really isnt the point. it was the items i'd wanted, and now i have to re purchase and wait for the items again.

i really like buying things online, and i used to enjoy buying on ebay and looking for a few £'s off the shop price, but now things seem to go missing often, and sellers lie and cheat buyers...and alot of buyers are cheating the sellers too

what is with ebay now? grrrrrr

Replies

• milliemonstermilliemonster Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think all you can do is reflect it in your feedback, that the sellers aren't sending recorded as they have described they will, despite them giving you a refund.

Perhaps also in future, double check with the seller before your purchase of their postage method?
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • would you leave positive feedback as they'd refunded, or neutral?

i don't want to be rude, as one of the people have been very appologetic claiming their son had posted the item?
  • lrr_2lrr_2 Forumite
    945 Posts
    I would leave neutral - stating items lost in post and refunded
  • milliemonstermilliemonster Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would leave positive as they have refunded you swiftly (I presume?) but would just add a comment to explain that the postage method was not as displayed? I know you have your refund but I would be a tad annoyed that I had paid an extra 75p for recorded delivery (or whatever it costs) and then the item was sent by standard first or second class mail which is cheaper, seems a good way for the seller to earn a bit extra!
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • as recorded mail has a better chance of getting through usually
    What makes you think that?
    It's carried the same. :confused:

Recorded is purely for the benefit of the seller, to help against bad buyers.
    This is my opinion. There are many others like it but this is mine
    :kisses2: Fiancee of the "lovely" DaveAshton :kisses2:
    I am a professional ebay seller. I work hard at my job, I love my job, if you think it's silly that's your problem not mine. :p
  • barvidbarvid Forumite
    405 Posts
    Recorded delivery can go missing just as easily as unrecorded. Although special delivery is tracked all the way through the process, recorded only means a signature is obtained at the end (sometimes, depending on the postie!). Even if they had been sent recorded, it still wouldn't have helped you.
  • would you leave positive feedback as they'd refunded, or neutral?

i don't want to be rude, as one of the people have been very appologetic claiming their son had posted the item?
    Hi I think feedback is a personal thing but if you feel that the seller has done everything they could have to put the mistake right then you must decide what to do but here are a few facts that may help you.
    If the seller stated recorded delivery on the listing then they should have posted by recorded delivery and this may have stopped the item going missing.
    You also have to factor in that recorded delivery items are not treated any differently from normal post so the items may still have went missing at this time of year all recorded delivery does is makes sure you have the item and this is for seller protection and does not normally affect a buyer at all.
    A lot of people mix up recorded delivery with special delivery only special delivery items get special treatment by royal mail, recorded delivery items get no special treatment you just have to sign for them nothing else.
    So having given you all the facts I have like I said at first this is something you will have to decide for yourself.
    Also I have to add that a lot of times on here when giving advise to sellers about the same thing items going missing that this is a good time to point out that most buyers are like the OP and get upset when their bargain they have bought does not arrive not all buyers are scammers and this has to be said and I think this is a good time to say it as the OP is more upset about missing out on their bargain than the money they spent.
    As sellers we should remember this when dealing with buyers and if we say we will do something on a listing like sending by recorded delivery then we should do as we have promised so the buyer can feel confident that we have done our part in the deal we have made with the buyer.
    For this reason myself personally no matter what the sellers did after the items went missing they breached the contract they had with me by not sending the items by recorded delivery so I would leave negative for both of them stating this but like I have said before feedback is a personal thing.
  • cyberbobcyberbob Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Although if it was in a non free P&P category the OP did pay for a service they didn't receive if that was the case I would contact the seller and see what they say as really they should refund the 75p recorded cost
  • George666 wrote: »
    For this reason myself personally no matter what the sellers did after the items went missing they breached the contract they had with me by not sending the items by recorded delivery so I would leave negative for both of them stating this but like I have said before feedback is a personal thing.

so if the item never arrived,how would you know if they used recorded or not?
  • bylromarhabylromarha Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    milfhunter wrote: »
    so if the item never arrived,how would you know if they used recorded or not?

My guess would be that OP asked for the barcode to trace the parcel, no barcode if no recorded.

I agree OP, I base my ebay decisions on these sorts of things too and get annoyed when people don't do what they say they'll do.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals