Can you help answer these questions please

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
10 replies 980 views
MoonRose77MoonRose77 Forumite
227 Posts
My friends dad has passed away suddenly and although I can remember some things from when we had to sort out my aunts affairs these questions I am finding harder to answer. If you can help out or point me in the right direction to be able to pass on info to him I'd be very grateful.

He wants to know if there are any questions they should be asking the accountant regarding his dads finances.
Also about changing bank accounts - but am I right in thinking that because there is no will and he owned a shop, no will in existence that it will have to go to probate and so they will need an account just for this purpose.
They want to pass the car onto another family member do they just have to re-register in their name? (I have no clue about cars being a non-driver)
There is also a person renting the shop that they want to evict and I think sell now (hasn't given me much of a clue on this one) - so what do they need to do here?

Is there anything else I can pass on to him to help out? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• The only thing I can comment on is the car:
    If it is owned outright (ie no finance or motability contract in force), they will need to send off the V5 to DVLA with the new keeper's details in section 2.
    You will also need to notify the DVLA that the gentleman is now deceased by sending a letter with his driving licence (if you can locate it) to your local office (or straight to Swansea) and a copy of the death certificate. This will ensure all records are updated.

Hope this helps
    ;)I am not a complete idiot - some parts are missing;)

• Thank you for that - I'll pass that one on - one less thing for him to, as he puts it, "get stressed over"
  • RASRAS Forumite
    29.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi

Some-one needs to get letters of administration and as he died intestate, the estate will have to be distributed according to the intestacy rules. Nothing should be sold or transfered in ownership by anyone until it is decided who is going to adminster the estate and then the administrator will have to account for everything that the dad owned.

As a rule, close members of the family can be administors. It is generally better to do this and then hire a solicitor for the bits where they need help than appoint a solcitor for the whole job UNLESS there is a lot of IHT to pay, in which case a solictor can sort things with the HMRC and account hiolders that would be difficult for a lay person to do in the short time available.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Thank you RAS - this is the sort of thing I have no clue about what with there being property involved. My aunts case was a lot simpler than this just being bank accounts to sort out.
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found this thread really helpful when a relative died unexpectedly - the title is misleading in one way since a lot of the info applies to any death

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=344578

I just browsed through it and gathered info as I needed it.

Re the car I do recall issues with insurance when the owner and keeper dies - if your friend was on his dad's insurance it is no longer valid and he should not be driving the car.

Hope he gets it all sorted.

• That is one thing I don't know so will get to him asap about it - I don't think (with him having been out of the country) that he is insured on it - but will check. Good point thank you.
  • Re the car I do recall issues with insurance when the owner and keeper dies - if your friend was on his dad's insurance it is no longer valid and he should not be driving the car.

Hope he gets it all sorted.
    Definitely get insurance sorted asap - we had this situation when my father died. Mum assumed she was covered as she was named on the policy - fortunately she phoned the insurance man as they had other policies with him and he issued a temporary cover for her.

• RASRAS Forumite
    29.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • With the car you dont actually have to send a copy of the death certificate. I had to do it earlier this year .for my dad's car. You just have to fill in your details on the V5, and send a covering letter explaining he has passed away, and telling them your relationship with the deceased. Then post it to the CR Team, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1ZZ.

Taken from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_4022493
    Hope that helps
  • Thank you for all the information - it will certainly help a lot x
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up