Need WIDE fitting cheap trainers for my Son's playtime footie habit

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
10 replies 1.3K views
easyeasy Forumite
2.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
Now oh wise and experienced ones, can you help me again please?

DS (10), plays football on the school field every day at playtime. Hence school shoes come home in a RIGHT state.

I have suggested wellies, but he won't even consider it (okay, the other kids will laff, altho their mums must be getting cross too).

He says he would change into trainers. BUT he has wide little trotters (size 3 to 4). For P.E. I had to buy Clarks trainers, 3.5 in a G fitting (cos they don't do a 3 H). However, I refuse to shell out £35 for trainers which will get caked in mud.

So, we could buy 4's I think, in a make which are wide.

So, you wise guys, please tell me, which makes of reasonably priced trainers are wider?
I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)

Replies

• busiscoming2busiscoming2 Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi
    I can only help in so far as I have wide feet and find Gola and Hi Tec trainers seem wider than some, especially reebocks. My DS (12) has big feet and he is wearing the Airwalks at the moment (about £15-20 in sports direct).

HTH's
  • PaparikaPaparika Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why can't he wear the trainers you've already bought for PE
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • Indie_KidIndie_Kid Forumite
    23.1K Posts
    Paparika wrote: »
    Why can't he wear the trainers you've already bought for PE

Probably because if they'll get caked in mud, they won't be suitable to be worn indoors for PE.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • the_catthe_cat Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Probably because if they'll get caked in mud, they won't be suitable to be worn indoors for PE.

If the OP thought it viable to use the trainers for outside, perhaps a cheap pair of plimsoles for the indoor PE would be an option?
  • LJMLJM Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    what about sports direct i bought my eldest a pair of football type boots but without the studs if you know what i mean they just had grips on the bottom i think they were originally for astro turf, i think. well she wears these on the field for tag rugby and footie and they grip fine and they cost me £7, much cheaper than a pair of football boots or trainers.
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • yummymummy79yummymummy79 Forumite
    458 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Get some Clarks from Ebay? They'll be the right size and a hell of a lot cheaper. If they're only for playtimes then condition doesn't need to be such a factor. Get a few pairs if you can find them as it doesn't sound like they will last for too long!
    Little lady arrived 13/12/11
  • easyeasy Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    the_cat wrote: »
    If the OP thought it viable to use the trainers for outside, perhaps a cheap pair of plimsoles for the indoor PE would be an option?

Oh I wish. I bought the £35 clarks trainers because you can't get cheap plimsolls in wide fittings for kids with a high instep.

Since year 2 he's had to have trainers, while other mums were buying plimsolls from wollies for £3.50
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • easyeasy Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get some Clarks from Ebay? They'll be the right size and a hell of a lot cheaper. If they're only for playtimes then condition doesn't need to be such a factor. Get a few pairs if you can find them as it doesn't sound like they will last for too long!

I know this sounds snobby, but I feel funny about giving DS second-hand shoes
  • chikachika Forumite
    848 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    easy wrote: »
    I know this sounds snobby, but I feel funny about giving DS second-hand shoes

I agree about the second hand shoe thing - its not nice. however I really don't think any child should wear cheap shoes. They will wreck his poor feet. Have you been to Sports direct - you could get a pair of kiddies Nikes (normally quite wide) that are suitable for running around in that wont cause damange to his feet or ankles. The bonus is they last a fair while and should cost less than £20.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
  • kegg_2kegg_2 Forumite
    522 Posts
    sports direct sell gola trainers for £15. They are wide fitting as my son wears them.

I wouldn't waste £35 on a pair of clarks if he ins going to play footie in them as they wont last 5 minutes
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals