PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New Rangemaster Cooker - help!

I was so excited about getting a brand new big cooker, but everything is so different that I am burning everything and it takes so long now to make what used to be a simple meal. It's a rangemaster dual fuel 90cm. I haven't cooked on gas for 30 years and it seems so fierce. It have a hot plate griddle attachment and a wok holder ring attachment. The oven is big and has so many different ways to use it. Defrost, fan oven, fanned grilling, fan assisted oven, conventional oven (top and base heat), browning element, base heat and an energy saving feature where you can put a divider in the middle of the oven to make it half the size.

With my old halogen hob I could put the pot on to boil and then start peeling veg etc. now with gas I have to prep it all in advance as the second I take my eye off the gas something burns!

Has anyone changed to a different way of cooking/new cooker and experienced the same problems? I feel really disappointed with myself that I am struggling to cope when the cooker costs so much. Does anyone have any tips apart from patience and new smoke alarms!

Comments

• seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Our new house has a fan oven and a gas hob, I'm moving from an extremely reliable electric oven and a hob with electric rings.

With the oven, ignore all the different settings, just learn how to use either the fan oven or the normal oven. I turn the fan oven down by 20 degrees C over a normal oven temp and would reduce the cooking time by 5-10 mins in the hour.

As for the hob, I think a gas hob is overrated. Even the smallest ring on the lowest setting will not give a gentle simmer, yet the largest ring on full whack takes ages to boil a big pot of water for pasta etc. I'm thinking about getting a heat diffuser or something.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    i don't have that cooker, however it is cut out on my fridge as the one i want,lol. But i found changing from halogen hob to gas a real task. like you i burnt everything. it was so rapid. Took a while but i did get used to it, and now it fine. also i had a fan assisted oven for the first time, i didn't know your ment to reduced cooking times and use a lower temp. for me i just found patience was what was needed. now i woulnd't consider using anything but gas to cook on.

i hope you have some better results soon. and start to enjoy your new range
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have one of these cookers and have had it for nine years and I'm still as much in love with it today as I was the day I got it.But I didnt want a multifuel cooker as I'm a gas kind of girl.I tried an electric cooker once and it kept burning my food.I too have the griddle on mine and use it for pancakes,steaks,burgers etc I love it.But I would advise you to prewarm it before use as it gives better results.As for the oven,because mine is gas I dont have all the settings you do so sorry cant help you much there

Lesleyxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport