PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making my own moisturising cream

Options
melt71
melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
edited 29 August 2023 at 4:28PM in Old style MoneySaving
I've got a lovely moisturising cream which has olive oil in it but it's going to run out soon and I would like to make my own. I have a moisturiser that isn't too strong smelling and I have extra virgin olive oil - can I mix it to make my own? Does anyone else make their own?

Any tips would be welcome :)
We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't imagine there would be any problem with it. I once mixed hair conditioner with olive oil to make a deep conditioner. It may be best to keep it in the fridge though?

Incidentally on an American forum, a lot of the women swear by vegetable shortening - I think they call it Trex. Apparently lots of older ladies still look very young and unlined (move over botox!). It is pure vegetable oil and I got some called Pura. Had a go with it, but I felt like a basted turkey and I think it irritated my face somehow. I can image though it would be good for dry feet.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    My Mum made hand cream stuff using grainy salt and olive oil. She used to rub it on her hands for about t 10 minutes and then wash it off and it took all the rough skin off and her hands were lovely!! You can also use olive oil on its own as moisturizer but it mightn't smell too nice!!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    My Mum made hand cream stuff using grainy salt and olive oil. She used to rub it on her hands for about t 10 minutes and then wash it off and it took all the rough skin off and her hands were lovely!! You can also use olive oil on its own as moisturizer but it mightn't smell too nice!!!

That's an idea for the rough skin that I always get on my feet! Thanks :)
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I used to do hairdressing but suffered with awful dermatitis, so I did something similar to your mum. Used to use oil, any kind really (sunflower, veg, olive) - mixed it with sugar and then spread over my hands and let it soak for five mins or so, then wash off. They use to feel really soothed and soft.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• mamaoba
    mamaoba Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    You could try a variation on this baby lotion recipe I use. My recipes are all made using a set of ordinary British measuring cups (£1.87) in Tescos. For everyday (muffins, toiletries I use all the time) I find this quickest but if you don't have a measuring cup then using 250ml:1 Cup.

Budget baby lotion
    3/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup distilled water (or boiled water)
    2 Tb emulsifying wax
    5-10 drops lavender oil(or geranium) for babies over 1 year, OR 5 drops roman chamomile for babies under 1 year (where there is no history of hayfever in the family only)

Heat the water and melt the wax in the oil (in a pyrex glass in water). I
    whir the water using a hand blender and pour the oil in a thin stream. Add essential oil last and blend briefly.
    The temp is hot, but not too hot to touch. The lotion is very thin at
    first, but when it cools it is like whipped cream.

It's a lovely recipe. For a moisturiser a few drops of Rose would be wonderful in a moisturiser as it's calming for the skin or you could experiment with your favourite oils. aim for a maximum 10 drops of whatever combination of essential oils you choose. Adding a tablespoon of glycerin would give it humectant properties and make it richer, though unless your skin is very dry I'd save this for a batch you intend to make in cooler weather.
    I was only able to get the emulsifying wax by ordering it in from a local chemist - it's a key ingredient in aqueous cream. Or online I've seen it here:-
    https://secure.bay-house.co.uk/product-list.asp?category=17
    Locally you may be able to get it under the name of Lanette wax.
  • purplemoon
    purplemoon Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    My face is very sensitive at the moment (its got worse over the past 5 years). I use a tiny amount of Vit E oil, but at a pinch I've used olive oil when staying with friends and my face seems to like it. I've heard olive oil mixed with rose water makes a good cleanser- not tried it myself. I've also heard of glycerin mixed with rose water too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback