Oil Burner repair

Can someone advise me if this price looks ok??
We called out boiler service repairs as our system wasnt heating all the radiators full and some not at all... it is a 13 year old system with firebird boiler.
Anyway guy came last week to fit a motorised valve on what he thought was to be a 20 minute job at lunch time. Cut long story short was there to tea time and did the following:-
6m water pump, pump gate valve, motorised valve, balancing valve (hot water), 22mm straight, drain down system - this has cost me £260.

He came back today with bill and has told me that as the water in the system is dirty and black and to get it to work at its most efficient he recommends putting ?furnox in the system for a week and then flushing it then putting another chemical in the system (not furnox) to stop this occurring again - an at extra cost of £160.

All in all this will have cost me £400 - what do you think ??
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]

Comments

• justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dono but i had just a motorised valve fitted by a local guy about 7 years ago i am sure it was around about 60 pound.
    A new boiler is around 800 pound cost.
    13 years is a good age for a boiler i personally would have done a boiler swap.(but thats also because i have a relative that installs oil boilers for a living). And it would still need a good flush. Would also change the rads anyway if they are 13 years old.

Can the flush not be done yourself??

I would prob run the boiler into the ground then do a boiler swap.

Think the other chemical is an inhibator(?spelling)Screwfix sell it
  • justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    just googled flushing you can manually flush or powerflush.

You need some kit too power flush
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport