Natwest Home Insurance HELP!!!!!

hi i waswondering if you can help my partner ghas had home insurance for over a year i august his home was robbed police reports where obtained and natwest completed all enquiries, they where ready to pay out and then adv'd that due to a criminal conviction 10 years ago they where not paying out?

they have not cancelled the policy and are still taking 60 pouds from his acc a month. does any one have any info or letters to send

kim

Comments

• There is nothing you can do.

They asked if you had a criminal conviction when you took out the policy. You ticked the no box and that action invalidates the contract.
  • If they are saying that his policy is 'void' then it should be cancelled from inception and all monies returned - they can't have it both ways.

As it's the Natwest though is that his Lender on the property? As they may say the cost is them arranging their own insurance to protect them as lender.

Lastly, you may not want to share the info of conviction but check it isn't spent under the rehabilitation of offenders act. If it is he didn't need to disclose anyway.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,510
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Even if a conviction was "spent", I understand that it would still need to be declared to insurers if they asked for details of any convictions.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If they are saying that his policy is 'void' then it should be cancelled from inception and all monies returned - they can't have it both ways.

That is not correct.

The FOS have published guidelines on non-disclosure.

if its inadvertent and they wouldnt have offered cover, they should refund the premiums since inception and void the policy.

If its intentional non-disclosure they are within their rights to refuse to pay and do not have to return the premiums.

In this case, it looks like Natwest consider it intentional. Probably right to do so as a criminal conviction iss not something you can forget easily.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure