Should I challenge plumbing bill?

We recently had our lead water pipes taken out. Not a cheap job! They now want the balance paying but I'm unhappy about the fact that although the written job description states that copper pipes would be used to replace the lead pipes, as far as I can tell, very little copper was used and mainly some kind of plastic pipe used instead.

Anyone any idea about the difference in cost between copper and the plastic? Do I have grounds to challenge the bill?

I don't want to be unfair about this but I also don't want to pay for something I wasn't given.

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ask for the final bill to be rewritten taking into consideration the change in materials from the original quote.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Do you mean the main pipes to the house or just the ones in the property?
    Most water companies offer a lead free option ( where they replace the pipes for free)

If the written job description states "copper pipes" then that is what you are paying for, anything else is not as described.
    Ask the consumer council or the CAB and they should be able to give you chapter and verse of what you should expect.
    However if it is the main pipes then it might be worth going back to your water company and seeing what they would be able to do.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Assuming it is plumbing inside the house, ideally you should have challenged it as it was being installed if plastic is not acceptable to you. If plastic is not acceptable, you should reject the job. If it is acceptable, the difference in material price may not be a significantportion of your bill.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure