Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

My bamboo has had little ones - will they grow into big ones?

The bamboo I have growing in a pot outside has got some new shoots coming up, they're about 3" tall at the moment. Can I remove them to a new pot to make a whole new bamboo plant? And if so how do I go about it? Did try googling but got a load of nonsense about bamboo flooring! Not quite at that stage yet.....

Replies

• FlossFloss Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yes you should be able to pot them up, however, DON'T plant bamboo in the garden unless you either

a) want a plantation and
    b) have a giant panda to eat it!

It will grow everywhere!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇
  • luckylukeyluckylukey Forumite
    291 Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    try this link,
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/publications/pubs/garden0301/grasses_d.asp

its quite wordy but at least it has diagrams too!
  • melanchollymelancholly Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Floss wrote:
    Yes you should be able to pot them up, however, DON'T plant bamboo in the garden unless you either

a) want a plantation and
    b) have a giant panda to eat it!

It will grow everywhere!

if only we'd known that last year!!! it's taking over the garden!!
    :happyhear
  • susanksusank Forumite
    807 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    It will depend on which type of Bamboo you bought in - the larger varieties will take over the garden but the finer ones will not be so rampant and will give you a lovely screen. You can pot up and sell the new ones at a car boot!
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • If you don't want the new shoots that are coming up, just get hold of them and twist them, the goodness is then still used in the growing of the original plant and you don't get lots of bamboo. If you don't want your bamboo travelling elsewhere!! Sink 2 ft slabs vertically into the ground and they won't be able to sneak past it! If you do pot them up be prepared for them to die off quite dramatically but they do come back eventually, they're hardy little things!
  • BusybodyBusybody Forumite
    925 Posts
    Too late for me I'm affraid! The Bamboo is creeping all over.
    Any sugestions on how to get rid without digging up loads of garden.
    As you say my fine leaved bamboo is ok just the big leaved one taking over.
    The trouble is I like it, pity its so rampant!!
  • Can only suggest twisting the new shoots as they come up and just trying to put a spade in or sharp loppers to cut the roots off! Or borrow a friendly panda!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals