Flooring - Insurance Claim

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
3 replies 596 views
SPENCERSPENCER Forumite
36 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I would be most grateful if anyone could offer some advice for a work colleague.

She put in a claim on building's insurance for kitchen flooring. The insurance co. sent out an assessor from an independant company they use. They valued the claim much lower than what they she paid for the original flooring. Anyway the assessor advised her which flooring she could purchase (equivilant to exisiting flooring) at one of the shops they have agreement with. She went into the shop and got a quote for that flooring and it works out at more than £100.00 than what the assessor has valued the claim at.

What should she do?, does she have to accept the assessor's figure. She tried the insurance co but they said it is not up to them.

Many Thanks

Replies

• AstarothAstaroth Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess it depends who it was that came out to dictate whether it is up to the insurer or not - if it is a claims management company then there may be little the insurer can do about it as they have complete deligated authority and for the insurance company to over rule them causes all sorts of headaches of the insurer having to make modifications to the performance measurement of the company (yes it is only £100 but if you do it for one you have to do it for many and then you lose the benefits of using a claims management company). If it is the more likely case that it was simply a loss adjuster then it is totally down to the insurer.

Does she have new for old on her policy? If not the deduction in price could be for wear and tear.

Is she sure the price given wasnt net of a £100 excess which would also explain the difference?
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • SPENCERSPENCER Forumite
    36 Posts
    The figure they gave her took into account the excess on the policy. she said there is no mention of wear and tear in the buildings section of her policy. It only states to replace or repair the damaged item.

Yes it was a claims management company. The flooring people told her that sometimes these estimators get it wrong because they don't actually check the prices of the flooring or the fitting cost with the shop, they just estimate what they think it will be. Which appears what has happened because the flooring the estimator recommended is more expensive than he estimated.

Thanks
  • AstarothAstaroth Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As estimated figures if the insurers are saying £800 net of excess and the flooring company are saying £900 then if the excess is £100 then this adds up correctly.

The insurer wont be basing it on any particular company but general figures. Our assessors use a hand held PC thing which has all the prices per m2 from a generic database based on the general quality of the item. Settlement is then based on this net of the excess... if the customer decides to buy in a sale/ cheap shop/ lower quality then they pocket the difference. If they want to buy from an expensive company/ buy a better quality item then they can add their own money to it.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals