Bath Panels

Options
I've just had my bathroom retiled but have had to call the tiler back because the panel he fitted to my bath (and then tiled) had bowed.

He has removed the panel and admitted that he is not a carpenter and didn't build the necessary frame around to attach the board to. I know, I know - he has offered to pay for a carpenter to do it and retile it for me now.

I noticed when he was getting the panel off, how difficult he found it and know it would be a complete re-tiling job if I ever had to do it because of a leak or whatever.

Surely it's easy enough to build some sort of access to the pipes without having to take the panel off? Could anyone share their experience or knowledge with me please?

Comments

• moneysavingvixen
    Options
    See here.
    msv
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    I didn't go for a tiled bath panel. I used a bit of worktop splashback and magnetic catches. No problem
    baldly going on...
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    The whole point of an access panel is to provide access in case of emergency. You do not want to be wondering how to get a panel off when there is a leak in the pipework or waste pipe. Tiled panels are very heavy and it is likely that some tiles would be damaged if it is removed. I trust that you have lots of spares. In answer to your question, yes it is easy to make some sort of smaller access panel. It would not be reasonable for you to expect the plumber to make one, however. It is the fact that the panel is tiled that is making the problem.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family