Capital value of our house.

edited 28 October 2009 at 10:43PM in N. Ireland
7 replies 2.5K views
Legacy_userLegacy_user Forumite
0 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 28 October 2009 at 10:43PM in N. Ireland
Does anyone know how we can challenge the capital value of our chalet bungalow?

I happened upon the NI Land and Property Services website tonight (http://lpsni.gov.uk/vListDCV/districts.asp) and out of curiousity I looked up our 3 bedroom home and discovered that it's capital value is significantly greater than that of 4 bedroom houses a few doors away. We were notified of an increase it the value a few months ago because we put a sun room on but one of the 4 bed houses down the street has a conservatory and is still valued less than ours.

Is the value calculated on the number of square feet we have or the fact that our garage is separate from the house?

Replies

• doelanidoelani Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    When these new rates came out both myself and my neighbour asked for ours the be reviewed, they did them at the time, sent someone out do an inspection . I am sure if you contact rates department they can advise you.
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It could just be that yours has been reviewed more recently than their - ie it was revised to the standards of house prices when your sun room was added whilst the others are still priced back at the last big review which from memory was three or so years ago?

• wifeforlifewifeforlife Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pam17 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how we can challenge the capital value of our chalet bungalow?

I happened upon the NI Land and Property Services website tonight (http://lpsni.gov.uk/vListDCV/districts.asp) and out of curiousity I looked up our 3 bedroom home and discovered that it's capital value is significantly greater than that of 4 bedroom houses a few doors away. We were notified of an increase it the value a few months ago because we put a sun room on but one of the 4 bed houses down the street has a conservatory and is still valued less than ours.

Is the value calculated on the number of square feet we have or the fact that our garage is separate from the house?

Sq footage is one of many criteria they use - contact specifically the valuation department, and ask to speak to the valuer for your area, 0845 300 6360

HTH
  • PythagorousPythagorous Forumite
    710 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    This is bizarre. I live in a row of nearly identical semi detached house and looking them up I find the capital values range by 100K, which can't be right
  • Money_Grabber13579Money_Grabber13579 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It could just be that yours has been reviewed more recently than their - ie it was revised to the standards of house prices when your sun room was added whilst the others are still priced back at the last big review which from memory was three or so years ago?

No, they're all based on the capital value at 1st January 2005. Even with the sunroom being added, the value is still based on 2005 prices. There has been no account of inflation on any rates.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • I've had major rows with land and property because of similar situations and they won't budge on the value of my property and are reluctant to revalue the bigger detached properties in my road.
    Good Luck with your quest!!
  • this sounds ridiculous! Sorry I've no actual advice, but hope you get this remedied.
    Norn Iron Member 383
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals