Telephone extension lead.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
10 replies 1.4K views
jmabncjmabnc Forumite
220 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Hi I am looking for thee above,has to be at least 20 meters,or could you's let me know of anyone who could put a telephone extension up my stairs ?(cheap if possible,and who could do a neat job):A

Thank you.

Replies

• cheekyweegitcheekyweegit Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really need telephone extensions? Can you not make do with a set of cordless phones?

The main one often with an answering machine plugs into your main telephone socket and the others plug into any standard electrical socket. I've got a triple set and it works well for me.

Worth a thought.
  • Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can buy 20 metre extension lead ,ready made just plug it . I think argos sell them
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • jmabncjmabnc Forumite
    220 Posts
    It is for broadband,we could like an extension lead for a computer.

Thanks.
  • jmabnc wrote: »
    It is for broadband,we could like an extension lead for a computer.

Thanks.
    20 metres is going to slow your speed down a reasonable amount
  • you can get a wireless phone extension kit (basically a electric plug that your phone plugs into, and at the other end you plug the other phone end into the plug adaptor, it goes via dect cordless phone. Maplins sell them. Though dont know what internet speeds would be like?
  • D.A.D.A. Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If you're using wireless, you could just plug your router in at your master socket and work over wireless.
  • bribrianbribrian Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    A good alternative would be Homeplugs....... http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/diagrams.html
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bribrian wrote: »
    A good alternative would be Homeplugs....... http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/diagrams.html

Totally agree

Check your router has a network port on it, then plug one of these upstairs, and the other one downstairs and into the router, and hey presto you've a network over your homes electricity circuit! I'm using them as we speak. Simples.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Mbps-Home-Double/dp/B000TV7FJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256948367&sr=8-1
  • timmmerstimmmers Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do it yourself, it's such a simple job it's laughable...3 wires.

Get a kit which includes a socket and wire AND a little plastic tool to push the wires into the sockets.
    Something like this :-
    http://www.filron.com/uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=213120

All you need to do to instal it is remove the front of the socket that the extension is coming from and push about a foot of cable into the box so you have spare, tack the cable from there up to the location of the extension socket and fit the supplied box there (making a small hole in the skirting with a little screwdrive and screwing into those usually is all that's needed so no drill unless you need it on a wall). You end up with 2 sockets both with lots of spare cable coming out of the front, always leave spare and tuck it back into the box rather than cut short.

With a stanley knife, gently score the outer sheath of the cable taking care not to nick the wires inside...practice on a bit of spare to be confident. Once you have a scored sheath, grip the sheath with wire cutters or pliers and pull off about 6 inches of outer to expose the wires. You need 3 of these wires, White, blue and orange.
    USing the push tool lay the blue wire across the 2 terminal and push down unntil it is securely fixed, then white in the opposite terminal (5) and finally the orange in the 3 terminal.....you don't need the others. Use the plastic tie to secure the cable to the front plate and tuck the cable that is apre into the wall box and put the front back on both sockets.
    More info on wire positions here ;-
    http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
    The actual colour dont matter as long as they match at each end...but best to keep to the standards just in case you ever get a fault to avoid confusion later.

It's a good idea to give both sockets a ring on you mobile before assembling them just to ensure the pushdown tool has been good enough...and also ring your mobile from each socket..

Don't run cables under carpets, they rub and fray...try not to be too violent tacking the wire or pushing the wire into the terminal...firm and on a solid surface like the wall works best.

Job done...cost about a tenner and 30 minutes easy work...BT cost ? 120 quid plus last I heard. :rotfl:

IF you have cable TV in your area and don't feel confident about fitting your own, stop one of the cable lads and ask them if they will do one after work...they usually welcome a little extra job or two and will have it done in ten minutes.

t
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    timmmers wrote: »

Job done...cost about a tenner and 30 minutes easy work...BT cost ? 120 quid plus last I heard. :rotfl:

IF you have cable TV in your area and don't feel confident about fitting your own, stop one of the cable lads and ask them if they will do one after work...they usually welcome a little extra job or two and will have it done in ten minutes.

t

Strange response?

Presumably the O/P doesnt feel comfortable doing it themselves otherwise would do it? Also, not sure of the relevance of the BT price as noone mentioned using them?

Any handyman who advertises in your local paper would do it, without having to find a 'cable lad' to do it.

Also, poundland / poundstretcher normally do extension cables of various for a few pounds, without having to start fiddling about with the wires in the socket.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals