Broadband & Holiday Homes.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
4 replies 3K views
SanderSander Forumite
16 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
As well as our main residence, we have a holiday home in Scotland (wet and windy!) currently we have broadband at home and a very slow (I mean the Royal mail is almost quicker!) dialup connection in Scotland which is driving me crazy. As we are only there for about two months in a year I am trying to find the cheapest way to get boadband in both properties, without paying a massive fee for 10 months non-use. Can anyone suggest where i might be able to get a good deal, or the cheapest option. I may be limited to supplier by the local exchange, but will explore this once i have some ideas. Thanks.

Replies

• edited 29 October 2009 at 7:44AM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 October 2009 at 7:44AM
    Please advise what exchange you are on, impossible to advise without knowing this.
    Can you get mobile internet reception (3G) at the house as an alternative? Use the postcode checkers on the operator's websites, but be aware that this only gives a general idea. If your mobile struggles there then you'll never get decent 3G.
    Do you need a landline at the property for calls anyway, or is it only there to provide your dial up or broadband? (i.e. if you could use mobile broadband, would you discontinue the landline?)
    PS: have you established that you can get broadband at all in Scotland (I presume we are talking about a small rural exchange)? Check here first:
    http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
    Then have a look on samknows.com, > exchange search.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • edited 29 October 2009 at 7:56PM
    SanderSander Forumite
    16 Posts
    edited 29 October 2009 at 7:56PM
    Thanks for the advice.

We do need a landline for telephone calls. You are right it is a small rural exchange; Lochinver. Broadband is available as friends have it, but may be limited. I will check the sites you gave me. Mobiles do struggle.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No chance of LLU ever on that exchange I'm afraid, under 400 subscribers. 3G not likely either if ordinary mobile signals are iffy, but you can try the providers' postcode checkers.
    This link will give you an idea of your likely broadband speed via an ADSL line.
    Suggest that your best option on a Market 1 exchange at present is Plusnet Value, £5.99 for 1st 3 months, then £11.99. 10GB monthly limit, wireless router is £6.99. So first year average monthly cost would be £3.66 if you sign up through Quidco (£28 cashback).You can also switch your line rental and calls to them, total bundle should then cost about £23. Don't know how this compares with what you are paying now.
  • edited 30 October 2009 at 10:47AM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2009 at 10:47AM
    PS: if you want to get broadband at your main home and your holiday home, and only the former is in a Market 3 area, then you can be really cunning and sign up/migrate in Market 3 (home) first at £5.99. Then as soon as that is up and running, ask them for a home move to the Market 1 (holiday) exchange. Once that has gone through, sign up once again at home for £5.99.
    Why? According to their T&C's, you can move your Plusnet Value contract (once only for free while you are still in contract) from a Market 3 exchange to a Market 1 or 2, and you will still pay the £5.99 rate-see below. Seems an obvious loophole, no doubt they will plug it at some point, but for now I can't see any reason why it won't work?

20. I've moved house, will my monthly fee change?

If you move property into a different Market Area your broadband subscription payments won't change. So for example, if you were to move from a Market 3 to Market 1 area you'd carry on paying the Market 3 price.
    This doesn't apply to Plusnet Unlimited, Broadband Your Way and older accounts as they aren't affected by market area pricing.

Anyone tried this?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs