emergency locksmith - 3 mins - £172

Options
chubb key broke in lock last night at friends. called some company who quoted £55 call out fee. Fair enough.

They got there, took exactly 3 mkniutes, removed the key (didnt need to change lock) and charged a total of £172.

is that right? friend involved was a bit tipsy so dunno if they took advantage??

Thanks!

Comments

• hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    probably taking the mikey but at least you got in,it was [EMAIL="bl@@dy"]bl@@dy[/EMAIL] cold last night:rotfl:
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • timmmers
    timmmers Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 October 2009 at 7:36PM
    Options
    £6840 an hour seems reasonable to me...did you get Jensen Button's autograph while he was there ?

t
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Paid 170 myself for the damn same thing after a night out on the lash, only difference was I lost my keys
  • maninthestreet
    Options
    zudecke wrote: »
    chubb key broke in lock last night at friends. called some company who quoted £55 call out fee. Fair enough.

They got there, took exactly 3 mkniutes, removed the key (didnt need to change lock) and charged a total of £172.

is that right? friend involved was a bit tipsy so dunno if they took advantage??

Thanks!

So how did the locksmith justify the additional £117 on top of the call out fee??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • jamesb1239
    Options
    Callout fee is just for them coming out, all labour etc is extra
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    I hope they used lubrication! I'm afraid your mate was robbed.

Most local companys do NOT charge a call out. I bet he called a national call center that use undertrained subbys then charge the earth.

Always look for a genuine local firm not a national one pretending to be local.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bear in mind he may have turned out in the middle of the night, driven 30 mins to get there and 30 mins back. They probably charge for a minimum 1 hours work . Even so it's an obvious rip off-why did she pay up?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • zudecke
    zudecke Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    guys,

this is the site i used to get the number from:

www dot londonlocksmiths dot com (i cant write URLs - [but plz do copy n paste to check it out)

i called them today to get justificatio for the fee. the guy (call centre/receptionist) said that the fee is based on

a) level of security
    b) complexity of lock

it's a bloody standard chubb lock. the guy did was pull out a hammer and chisel open the lock, pull the broken 1/4 of the key out, fixed the fitting back and wrote a receipt out for £172 lol.

So i said, if the job was so complex, how did it require so few tools and could be completed in under 3 minutes? he said, it was the level of security of the lock lol..

any suggestions?
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Website says No Call-Out Fee! Did you miss that when you called them and they said £ 55 callout?

It sounds as though its a standard fee irrespective as the other poster got a bill for £ 170 for a very similar thing.

If you want to complain - put it IN WRITING and give them a fixed timescale to respond. If they do not or you are dissatisifed with the response then perhaps you should pay a visit to trading standards and see what they say?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Bear in mind he may have turned out in the middle of the night, driven 30 mins to get there and 30 mins back.

You thought it was an emergency .
    How much is the chubb lock they supplied and fitted , to buy??

Did you have the skill to 'hit' it with a hammer.

Were you ripped off ??? I don't know.

( but I bet you are more careful unlocking your front door)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure