Absolute poor experience with Post Office Homephone/Broadband

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
5 replies 1.1K views
kamisokamiso Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
I recently ordered homephone & broadband with Post Office due to I have been with BT for over 10 years and the phone bills can be very expensive, not to mention i was with a seperate provider for the internet.

So thats when i decided to switch to Post Office and i called them to place my order on OCT 16. Everything seemed fine and the agreement date for my phone/broadband would go live by OCT 27, (this is also the date my services will end with my previous providers)

By OCT 26, i still have not recieved my setup equipment. (i understand that there could have been a slight delay due to the royal mail offstrike) But no, i have discovered the equipement 'delivery status' has been mistakenly marked as complete when i logged into my Post Office account.

Great! meaning theres no way i can recieve my pack on time. Anyway, i emailed them so somebody can deal with the problem. After several emails back and forth, i finally recieved a CONGRATULATION email which simply informs me i will be switching over with them on NOV 3.

Ha! no explanation...no apology... no exact date given for redelivery!

so what will happen on the several days i dont have any connection?
I may require to use the internet to communicate with my clients as i am a freelance desigher. Now, if i decide to extend my internet connection with my previous ISP until Post Office sort out their problem. I may be liable to pay an additional month of usage fee.

So I wrote back again and described the situation like i have here, hoping they can give me a promising solution. However, they ignored all my queries. Now the only option is to wait until NOV 3.

If anybody have any views, feel free to have your say here!

Replies

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you use a MAC to migrate from your old ISP to the new? Doesn't sound like it. If you had, you will not have much downtime at all as the service will be transferred on the same day with only maybe a couple of hours interruption.
    Just over 2 weeks is not an unusual time for migration, and the dates are controlled by BT, so no ISP can guarantee a firm date (however they should of course have kept you informed).
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • NEHNEH Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    kamiso wrote: »
    I recently ordered homephone & broadband with Post Office due to I have been with BT for over 10 years and the phone bills can be very expensive, not to mention i was with a seperate provider for the internet.

So thats when i decided to switch to Post Office and i called them to place my order on OCT 16. Everything seemed fine and the agreement date for my phone/broadband would go live by OCT 27, (this is also the date my services will end with my previous providers)

By OCT 26, i still have not recieved my setup equipment. (i understand that there could have been a slight delay due to the royal mail offstrike) But no, i have discovered the equipement 'delivery status' has been mistakenly marked as complete when i logged into my Post Office account.

Great! meaning theres no way i can recieve my pack on time. Anyway, i emailed them so somebody can deal with the problem. After several emails back and forth, i finally recieved a CONGRATULATION email which simply informs me i will be switching over with them on NOV 3.

Ha! no explanation...no apology... no exact date given for redelivery!

so what will happen on the several days i dont have any connection?
    I may require to use the internet to communicate with my clients as i am a freelance desigher. Now, if i decide to extend my internet connection with my previous ISP until Post Office sort out their problem. I may be liable to pay an additional month of usage fee.

So I wrote back again and described the situation like i have here, hoping they can give me a promising solution. However, they ignored all my queries. Now the only option is to wait until NOV 3.

If anybody have any views, feel free to have your say here!

Check to see if you have mobile broadband coverage in your area...A pay as you go dongle may be a worth while investment....

To be honest a lot of things are going missing in this postal strike or are getting held up so it may just be a case of that....no comfort to you I know but some of my stuff is delayed and whilst fustrating nothing much can be done...
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most ISP's use a courier firm to deliver their routers as they will need signing for. In theory the PO ought to 'do it themselves' but I rather doubt it...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • thanks for the advice macman. yes, i did provide them my mac on the same day of the order with PO. I also checked that im still with Tiscali.
    I understand things can take time to be dealt with, im just annoyed with the fact PO havent informed me of the processing properly.
  • Jemma-TJemma-T Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The Post Office™ sadly don't do ADSL, home phones, pet insurance, currency or any of the other tat they advertise. They're just a middle man selling you product from other companies.

Get a proper ADSL and phone line supplier. That's assuming you value your time on the Web and want to make and receive calls.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals