New Post Advanced Search

Saga

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
10 replies 1.3K views
MrT_5MrT_5 Forumite
397 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
What is your experience of SAGA? I had their car insurance once but found that it wasn't the best deal. What annoyed me about them was the continual bombardment of junk mail trying to sign me up for holidays, funeral plans etc. I am with Churchill now and they are pretty fantastic in my humble. Last time my car insurance went down for the first time ever. £176 fully comp, protected no claims and all that. Someone hit my car when I was parked and they dealt with it so easily and never even tried to claim an excess from me. I'm nothing to do with the company and maybe it should be in a different thread but some people think SAGA is over 50 friendly and I don't think they are. What do you reckon?
Don't buy the Sun.

Replies

• margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I went on one of their singles weekends, 1996 I think it was. It was a bit of a disaster. More like a World War Two reunion than anything! Around that time I also got bombarded with invitations for all kinds of things that I didn't want.

We've recently re-insured buildings and contents under Churchill. We did have Saga home insurance one year but discovered that we were paying for things that were never likely to happen. For example, complete rebuilding was covered up to half-a-million quid! And yet, when we looked around, talked to other insurers, local builders, estate agents etc, there is a standard valuation for rebuilding a 2-bedroom bungalow (and other types of housing) and most insurers take that into account. Not Saga - they go completely over the top, and you're paying for it!

From our point of view, we don't find it necessary to search for special deals for older people e.g. Saga, Staywarm, or the like. We reassess everything at least once a year, when insurance falls due, whatever, and like Martin says, we 'ditch and switch'!

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • home_alonehome_alone Forumite
    755 posts
    I have also found their Car insurance a bit high Mr T, I have their house/contents insurance which I have found to be very competitive, have not claimed anything yet so I can not say how could they are at paying up although I imagine they will be OK, feel quite save with them.

gary - fifties rocker
    755 posts
    The half mill cover was one of the main reasons I went with saga, there are not many of the regular insurance companies that go that high, the other reason I went with them was cost they were less than half the cost of my previous insurance company (Royal and Sun Alliance). I do as most do nowadays look around at the crucial time of the year, so far they are the best offered, maybe not the cheapest but the best.

gary
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    home_alone wrote:
    The half mill cover was one of the main reasons I went with saga, there are not many of the regular insurance companies that go that high.

Gary, it wouldn't cost half a million to rebuild, even if your home was completely destroyed! The reason that most of the other home insurers don't go that high is that they know this, and there's a standard cost depending on type of property.

We live near a small airport and it's one of the things we do keep in mind.

We recently paid £139.65 annual premium to Churchill Insurance for buildings and contents. We're covered up to £250,000 in case of total destruction.

Even if you live in a house that's worth half a million, it wouldn't cost that much to rebuild. The reason is that the land isn't destroyed, it remains - it's just that the site would need to be cleared before rebuilding.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Gary, I've just checked up - what we were told was that rebuilding costs are approx £1000 per square metre, and this is what the insurance companies work on. That would put the rebuilding cost of this bungalow at £80,000 or thereabouts - nowhere near half-a-million! Its present value is something like £165K and there's quite a large garden which, obviously, would not be affected even if the building was completely destroyed.

Margaret Clare
    755 posts
    I do need that sort of cover at the moment even when taking the land is still mine and cost of clearance etc. I will size down in the near future as both my wife and myself just rattle around in it too much to heat/clean/paint etc. I want a nice bunglelow but not many of them around here.

I also live close to airfields 2 of them in fact one RAF (2miles away) and Cardiff is about 4 miles away, so you never know.

gary
  • djohn2002ukdjohn2002uk Forumite
    2.3K posts
    home_alone wrote:
    I do need that sort of cover at the moment even when taking the land is still mine and cost of clearance etc. I will size down in the near future as both my wife and myself just rattle around in it too much to heat/clean/paint etc. I want a nice bunglelow but not many of them around here.

I also live close to airfields 2 of them in fact one RAF (2miles away) and Cardiff is about 4 miles away, so you never know.

gary
    Margaret is absolutely right. Unless your property is worth between 1 1/2 and 2 million it would not cost anywhere near £500,000 to clear the site and rebuild it. There's no getting away from the fact that you are paying through the nose for insurance from SAGA. They are only agents for a real insurance company and taking their cut out of your money.
    The company they used to use and maybe still do is Liverpool Victoria who are a decent competitive company on their own but it stands to reason that people like SAGA and Age Concern don't offer these things for nothing.
    One other thing about SAGA. They have been sold now and are just a money making business with little regard for people of advanced years except that it's a niche and profitable market, IMHO.

I don't think you would be far out if you took a third of the value of your property as a figure for rebuilding and add a half of that figure for clearing the site.

Just realised you are in the vicinity of Rhoose and St Athans so probably a bit cheaper around there to build too.
    755 posts
    Margaret is absolutely right. Unless your property is worth between 1 1/2 and 2 million it would not cost anywhere near £500,000 to clear the site and rebuild it. There's no getting away from the fact that you are paying through the nose for insurance from SAGA. They are only agents for a real insurance company and taking their cut out of your money.
    The company they used to use and maybe still do is Liverpool Victoria who are a decent competitive company on their own but it stands to reason that people like SAGA and Age Concern don't offer these things for nothing.
    One other thing about SAGA. They have been sold now and are just a money making business with little regard for people of advanced years except that it's a niche and profitable market, IMHO.

I don't think you would be far out if you took a third of the value of your property as a figure for rebuilding and add a half of that figure for clearing the site.

Just realised you are in the vicinity of Rhoose and St Athans so probably a bit cheaper around there to build too.

I am taking the land value as 250K clearance and ancillary work at 50K with a total value of around 680K, I estimate at about 300/350 to rebuild but not being an expert I take your comments with much interest thanks.

gary
  • MrT_5MrT_5 Forumite
    397 posts
    I've never really thought about buildings insurance too much. I'm supposed to have unlimited cover. I was told that this was in case my house went on fire and destroyed the neighbours as well. I live in a semi.

Good point about Age Concern as well. I have had dealings with them when I did voluntary work trying to help out old people. I found that they were more interested in making money than actually doing what they are supposed to do. Perhaps I am being harsh and they do a good job for some people but once again if they have your details then you get bombarded with junk mail.

I had one old lady who had a leaking gutter but she was on benefits and couldn't afford to pay anyone. I phoned them and they didn't want to know. Said they had a handyman but he wouldn't go above the ground floor level. Fair point I suppose but I do get fed up of charities that don't give any charity, well at least at home.
    Don't buy the Sun.
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    home_alone wrote:
    I do need that sort of cover at the moment even when taking the land is still mine and cost of clearance etc. I will size down in the near future as both my wife and myself just rattle around in it too much to heat/clean/paint etc. I want a nice bungalow but not many of them around here.

gary

I moved here with my late first husband in 1990 - we had a Pennine cottage on 3 levels, and it was too much for him. In fact he died 18 months after we moved here. Moving to this bungalow was one of the best decisions we ever made between us - the Pennine cottage was one of the worst. I allowed myself to be persuaded.....

We have the Southend annual Air Show this weekend, we've just been round the airport watching the Sea Kings taking off and landing, taking the air cadets on trips along the sea-front. We've also watched the Hercules land today, yesterday we were watching the Tornado and the Harrier.

Margaret Clare
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support