Unidentified Beetle... Help

Options
Hi there,

Whilst cleaning the unused spare room I came accross a yukky beetle and wondered if anyone could help with information to identify it. I have attached a link below and hopefully you can see it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13394564@N05/4031188595/

We moved in to our 100 year old mid terrace about 18 months ago but from the records we received there had been an infestation of common furniture beetle (anobium punctatum) in 1987. This had been in the

Bathroom (on the half landing) flooring and w.c work completed - remove w.c strip out 1 sqm flooring and treat all exposed timbers, renew flooring and replace w.c.

Kitchen evidence of a progressive attack (whatever that means) by same beetle to exposed lathing in the ceiling (directly below the bathroom) plaster was removed and lathing from ceiling - both were treated and ceiling renewed with plaster plate and plaster shot.

Wet rot was also found but not stated where only that

Treatment 5 (Wet Rot Treatment) Adequate floorboards to be stripped back and laid aside to give access to defective subfloor timbers. All defectove timbers to be cut back to safety margin approximately 5o cms . All other timbers to be chemically treated with NUBEX EMULSION LB. New pretreated timbers to be installed with joist end wall plates protected by a physical damp proof course. Removed flooring where sound is to be treated and reinstated.

I am assuming that the wet rot treatment related to the bathroom floor, but it doesn't state.

This work was carried out in 1987 and had a 30 year guarantee.

I am not sure if the beetle I have found is the same beetle, in all of the pictures I have seen online, it looks similar but not identical.

Also the infestation seemed to have occurred in the bathroom and kitchen area and I haven't found this beetle there only in the upstairs bedroom, if it is the same beetle it looks like the work didn't extend far enough. The upstairs bedroom is next to the bathroom although half a floor higher.

Any help identifying it and whether it might be a guarantee issue would be appreciated.

Apologies for the long post.

:confused:

Comments

• jhe
    jhe Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i'm no expert but i do know from experience that completely different parts of houses can be affected. would you be able to check floorboards to see if there is evidence of dry rot-woodworm
  • Beebo
    Beebo Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks jhe, the bedroom is awaiting carpet so will get my husband to up lift the hardboard (or whatever it is that is laid on the floor boards) what to look out for though? Can't say we noticed anything untoward when laying the hardboard - or is it chip board.
  • jhe
    jhe Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you can lift some floorboards in different parts of the room, sometimes the top of the floorboards look ok but underneath might have tiny little holes in them if you tap them dust might come out if theres active woodworm present. good luck and hopefully you dont have a problem
  • Beebo
    Options
    moonrakerz, what brilliant identification. He sounds pretty stinky though, will do my best not to stand on any... otherwise the smell might be too much. Do you think they're coming in for the winter? They don't sound harmful, just not really pleasant to have around. I
  • Beebo
    Options
    jhe thanks, moonrakerz has identified this bug! But will still get my husband to check under the floorboards before we carpet, fingers crossed there's no damage.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We occasionally find one indoors (usually a green one), they probably come in on our clothes when we have been gardening.
    I just throw them outside.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    Shield bugs like Hawthorne shield bugs are common in gardens.You find lots of them in the summer months.Theyre harmless and can be all different colours.

If you look closely on some of them they can have greens,blues ,reds and purples on their shells.Very pretty looking bugs when alive .
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    Options
    If you ever find bugs or critters that you cant identify then send them in a sealed container to the Natural History Museum in London and they will identify it for you, we did when we found on of these, a puss moth caterpillar

puss-moth-caterpillar-370_11727_1.jpg
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family