I need a door 700x2000mm

Options
HI there,

I need a door for a new entrance 70x200cm.
is this something i can buy made or will i have to have one made?

Ideally we'd like glasing
:money:

Comments

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A standard door size is 27" (686mm x 1981mm) so will fit in your space easily with slight alteration to the framing.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can get doors to your exact size made to measure at B&Q.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • blushingbride_3
    Options
    oh ok thanks :)

what would i have to do to the frame? its a new frame already installed
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    You can also google on "doors made to measure" and get some useful looking links.

As for the frame, you would have to fit hinges, and you would expect to plane the door down to fit. Respectfully, I suggest you find someone to do it. Through experience I have discovered you have to plane off door edges not quite square and set hinges in not quite flat for your door to swing nicely.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • blushingbride_3
    Options
    thanks everyone!

I do have someone to fit it for me as i have another door to fit as well.

Will a 27" one be ok or will there be 2 much of a gap? could a stip of wood be added around the edges?

Cant really afford a made to measure one.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has the actual frame been made? I dont mean just the opening in the wall, I mean the finished frame? Does it have architrave on it?

You could pad the frame out by 10mm at one side which would give you the 686 door width and 2mm gap each side = 690mm. Same with the top, but by how much depends on the height of your floor covering.

If the finished framing hasn't actually been done yet and it's just a rough frame opening then you can easily add a strip of 10mm ply to one side before the actual door frame goes on. If it has actually been finished, with the wood you would be varnishing or painting then you would probably need to get a 28" door (711mm) and plane the 11mm off (some off each side rather than all off one side only) as long as this amount was within the manufacturer's tolerances. Some doors have thicker stiles (edges) than others and you can plane more off than other doors which have thinner stiles. If you take off too much from a door with thin stiles, the door is more likely to warp.

I think 27" size is more readily available though and not all door ranges come in a 28" width.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • blushingbride_3
    Options
    just my luck!

Well the door frame & architrave is on but it has not been painted etc, i will have to see if i can get 28" if not i will have to talk to carpenter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport