Outdoor Switch Cable Size

Options
I would like to wire a set of outdoor lights into an outdoor switch. The cable on the lights is 2 core 1.0mm2. Is there a way of making a weatherproof connection into the switch?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, get a Part P qualified electrician to do the job.
  • chateauneufdupape
    Options
    That is my intention. But I am still none the wiser! I am trying to work out what my options are. One is to wire the cable into the outdoor light switch, so is this possible and how would a Part P Qualified electrician do it?
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    I am not quite sure what your problem is. If you are going to get someone in to do it for you, let them worry about how to do it. There are probably a dozen different ways to wire the circuit. Every electrician will have his own preferred way of doing things. In any event any connections into the switch will be via some sort of grommet or gland. Most outdoor accessories will will come with the appropriate grommet or gland inside the fitting. Whenever I used to install outdoor switches, I made sure that the wire entered from below if possible as this limits any scope for water entry. Sometimes it was entered throught the back of the box.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • chateauneufdupape
    Options
    If the lighting cable was 1.5mm2 SWA I could use a CWS20 gland to make a weatherproof connection. All I want to know is there a similar gland for 1.0mm2 cable? I like to understand what tradesman are proposing to do and when they offer me alternatives, I can then make an informed judgement.
  • zax47
    zax47 Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2009 at 6:58PM
    Options
    Why get involved in the minute detail? Are you also likely to require him to confirm the make of screwdrivers he will use? He will do it by an appropriate method using the appropriate materials.

To answer your question - glands are sized by external cable diameter, not cable core CSA, 20mm being the smallest for SWA. Not come across much 1.0mm SWA, 1.5 is usually smallest.
  • chateauneufdupape
    Options
    The cable is not SWA. It is 7mm diameter, 1.0mm2, 2 core cable. All I want to know is if there is some form of gland that can be used to make a weatherproof seal into the light switch for this size cable. If not, I presume that the connection would have to be made in a waterproof junction box. Once I know this, I can then figure out where to put the light switch and or the junction box.
  • zax47
    zax47 Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, take your pick;

Glands
  • chateauneufdupape
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I now know where I can put the switch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure