ultra cheap & ultra last minute

Options
OH and i were going on a few UK camping hols this year. however his folks have come into a bit of money, and they've told us they'd be giving us a sum to put towards our holiday.

we could use this to pay for our uk hol, or, if we could get a deal, we could put it towards an ultra cheap last minute holiday.

i think we'd have about £300ish give or take to put towards it - for flights, hotel (room only, half board, not fussed) and we wouldnt mind where we went.

but ive never booked a last minute deal, so would appreciate insight on the best places to look for deals and things to be aware of.

we have two possible windows for travel - last week of june, or last week of july. i suspect that last week of june would be cheaper, because kids are still in school so its not quite peak season?

and how late is it best to book - how last minute are the best last minute bookings? (we have passports, suitcases and clothes..it would just be a case of booking holiday, packing, arranging currency and getting to the airport :D)
know thyself
Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...

Comments

• CAE
    CAE Posts: 644 Forumite
    Options
    Try https://www.travelzoo.co.uk

You can suscribe to a weekly newsletter with last minute deals
  • simes
    simes Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    Look on xl.com
    on the package holidays. You can get a deal for around £300 for two booking now for end of June.

If you wait for last minute then be aware there will be lots of extras bumping up the price. Typically tickets-on-departure fee of around £15 pp ; booking fee often around the same then costs of tranfers to resort hotel. The £99 offers can often double in price ( especially as they are often worked on maximum occupancy - never 2 people).

Look for somewhere close to the airport to save on transfer costs ( or if booking on xl.com use their transfers but ONLY if the resort is far enough away from the airport to justify their cost).
    Just booked to Majorca through XL for June. I used their transfers ( £40 for 2 people) because the resort is over an hour from the airport and their tranfers are the cheapest option ( resort is Calas de Mallorca).

I was considering their holiday to Lanzarote in the well reviewed Oasis Apts ( Pt del carmen). This was only just over £300 for 2 people and transfers would not be neccessary as its only about £6 in a taxi from the airport.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cheers simes will have a look there too.

seems that very very last minute is not necessarily cheapest then?
    know thyself
  • saveapenny
    saveapenny Posts: 6,773 Forumite
    Options
    I recently came across 1 week 4*HB to Marsa Alam for about 350 total for 2 people it was leaving today but found it at a good few days ago. If you look on the main page of https://www.xl.com on the right you will see the flight deals then its very easy to match it up with cheap hotels. There is always somewher cheap if your not going in school holidays just hang on and dont get paniced into booking something but you DO have to be flexiable with airports and destinations the more the better
    If you look anything like your passport photo....Your too ill to travel
  • pavlovs_dog
    Options
    whilst i dont like single person supplements, i can understand it... but that concept doesnt exist on xl.com.. you pay based on four sharing :eek:

there are some deals based on 2 sharing, just not as many.

its most bizarre thinking about arranging a holiday, when you have absolutely no idea where you are going to end up :D
    know thyself
  • vr6lad
    vr6lad Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Another good website for last minute deals is https://www.destinationholidays.com. Certainly worth a try as you might get to go somewhere more exotic with your £300 (e.g Mexico/ Cuba)

:beer:
    'Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery'
  • pavlovs_dog
    Options
    ooh exotic :D

many thanks, will have a browse
    know thyself
  • vr6lad
    vr6lad Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    ooh exotic :D

many thanks, will have a browse

Something else that I recently heard from a travel agent pal that could count in your favour. With the World Cup starting on 9th June (hoorah!), the number of people booked to travel in this 3 week period is very low, thus you may get some ridiculous bargains if you search around this time!

:T
    'Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery'
  • pavlovs_dog
    Options
    hmm sounds interesting. so as long as i dont want to travel to germany, there should be bargains :D
    know thyself
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family