Cost of kitchens

Options
Hello, I know this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but......

Any ideas on the cost of a new kitchen? Just the units/worktops etc not the fitting. And from a big chain like Ikea/B&Q rather than a bespoke artisan thing. A really approximate amount like £5,000. £10,000 or £15,000. And probably mid range sort of price i.e. something nice rather than the cheapest possible or the fancyest. Any comments at all are gratefully received; we are trying to cost works needed on a house we are interested in buying.

Many thanks
Liz
1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000

Comments

• CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No problem, although many people will have different views on it!

£5,000 would be a lower market kitchen.
    £10,000 to £20,000 would buy you a mid market kitchen and
    £30,000 plus would buy you a high end kitchen.

Good luck.
  • mose_2
    mose_2 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Average size kitchen off the shelf from b&q i'd say 3-4k
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    First, take your piece of string!
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Those kind of places all do pricelists. Your best bet is to go and get one and then add up a very rough collection of bits and pieces you're likely to need. You'll get far closer than any stabs in the dark here.
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    Well, from my time at Wickes I sold kitchens (without installation,but including units, sink, tap, worktops and appliances) between £2,500 (Aston with laminate worktops and take away sink, tap and appliances) and £16,000 (Calgary, huge kitchen, lots of curves and all AEG appliances)

Average kitchen price was £4,800 (just bear in mind this was a few years ago)

Hope that helps?
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Izzy.
    Izzy. Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Mine cost £6,580 from Ikea. One more week til its finished. :j
  • turk3y
    turk3y Posts: 99 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2009 at 3:08PM
    Options
    Costs very much depend on size I would have thought ?

we went for a cheap one from Benchmarkx in the end, as the idea was cheap units which are relativly well made and a granite worktop, which when its fitted should really lift the whole look.

Ours is arround 5 meters of covered wall with one corner and was around 4k for units, 2.5k on appliances and 1.2k on granite (cost including fitting, thanks to Alan for help here)
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies especially as I think maybe this Q should have gone on one of the shopping boards. Those replies have mostly been useful in there own way. Cheers, Liz
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • claire1234
    claire1234 Posts: 693 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templates/content_lookup.jsp?content=/content/inspiration/give_me_ideas/kitchens/white_country_style/white_country_style.jsp

hiya,

my mum got the style of kitchen above from b&q,
    the cupboards that you can see with the glass doors she got 2 of, she got
    worktops, sink, taps, undersink cupboards and cupboards next to them,
    she got it fitted herself & came to around £1,000.
    she got new flooring seperate.

if you go into b&q on the display`s it says something like "typical 8 unit kitchen £.... " so you can get a rough idea,
    ive got all the magazine`s and trying to work out my kitchen on a budget -- mine is a different shape to my mam`s and im looking for a double cooking so am looking at around 2 - 3k & fit it ourselves,

hth
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    we have 14 units (in 3 tall ones) for 1k from ikea, add worktop, sink, amtico flooring, taps, tiles etc etc we came in 500 quid over budget at 3000
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport