Abbey: Mortgage exit fee / process

Hello,

Happy to say two payments remaining on out mortgage, we have been working very hard for the past 5 years to rid ourselves of the millstone and have made sacraficies along with excellent MSE advice from many posters here to enable us to be in a position to pay the final two payments before my 35th birthday :)

The Abbey have sent a letter stating that there will be a £99 exit fee to be paid. Is there anyway out of this? I feel they have made enough money from us over the last 5 years (fixed deal 5.85%)!

They also mention i can instruct a solicitor or allow them to carry out the final process (sorry don't have the letter here) - for which they do not state what this is or how much (if anything) this will cost.

any ideas?

thanks

Replies

• Gongrats on getting there before your 35th!

It's possible to get out of the £99, however very unlikely unless you like your 'direct action'. Anything is possible. BTW... Northern Rock try to charge £250 if that makes you feel better.
  • dimbo61dimbo61 Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    £99 exit fee sounds about right BUT read carefully what your old mortgage paperwork says!
    Abbey overcharged me by £165 a few years back as they had put the exit fee up but the GOD that is Martin did an article on mortgage exit fees and a quick letter to Abbey got some of my money back.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals