United utilities - crossed water meter

Just looking for some advice and opinions of what you would do in this situation.

We have been getting bills with the wrong water meter number on. A complaint was initailly made in June and an engineer was sent out to investigate. He confirmed that the meter number is crossed with a neighbour. Our household includes just 2 adults whereas the neighbour with whom the meter number is crossed with is a family of 4. Therefore the bill amounts differ considerably. Our neighbour is obviously happy with this.
Numerous phone calls have been made to the complaints department and customer relations and our account was supposed to be frozen until the issue had been solved. However we have recieved payment reminders and now a threat of legal action and potential CCJ's if we do not pay within 14 days.

Has anybody had similar problems with United Utilities or a crossed water meter with another supplier? What would be the best way to deal with this?

Thanks

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Contact Consumer Council for Water

http://www.ccwater.org.uk/
  • RDA
    RDA Posts: 215 Forumite
    I experienced a similar problem with our Powergen gas meter a couple of years ago.

The matter was eventually sorted out, but it took the best part of 12 months to resolve.

The main obstacle was the volume of problems being handled by the crossed meter department at Powergen who simply told us to wait until our case came to the top of the pile.

Other suppliers may have a lower case load, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure