🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Central/Pendant light fitting

Options
Hi,

I have just bought my first house and am in the process of doing it up. There is no central ceiling light fitting in the lounge. All of the other rooms have them, but in the lounge there are two oddly positioned wall lights.
I assume that the previous owner actually took out the central light and plastered over the hole.
How much would you think it would cost for an electrician to come and fit a new central pendant light and remove the wall lights?
Also, the lounge is below the master bedroom, in which I am planning on having new carpet fitted. Will the sparky need to pull up the floorboards?

Many thanks, Vicca

Comments

• Noel_L
    Options
    There is every chance that the original wiring is still in the centre of the room and someone has joined the wall light wiring to this. .Try and locate where you think the old position was and make a hole in the ceiling.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    go into the loft and see where it was originally. poke a hole from up there.
    with luck the wiring will still be there.
    guessing from down below is a bit and miss.
    Get some gorm.
  • eco-friendly_2
    eco-friendly_2 Posts: 604 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2009 at 2:36AM
    Options
    "Also, the lounge is below the master bedroom"

Ormus, I assume you mean check out the bedroom above.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    If you are getting the carpet up in the room above anyway. You might find an access panel in the floor from the original ceiling light. I always left an access over the position of the central room light, whenever I wired a house. I am not sure that this always happens nowadays in new builds. If there is an access, it is likely that this was where the feed to the wall lights comes from. If this is the case, then reinstating the central light will not be a problem. I think that your first port of call has to be to check whether there is actually an access in the room above.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills