£200 for fuel,, £200 for council ax

New Post Advanced Search

£200 for fuel,, £200 for council ax

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
27 replies 2.1K views
oapoap Forumite
596 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
Hello,although we are not tax payers ourselves, does anybody know if the above gifts from the government to help with our bills is taxable? Regards oap ps we have been grateful for this, also the fact that when labour came into power one of the first things they did was to reduce vat on fuel from seventeen and half percent to five percent, I am not sure the conservatives had any intention of doing that, so it has been a great help. Its gettingpretty worrying, we are stuck with oil,no gas only calor gas where we live which is getting very expensive, and to fill our one thousand litre oil tank probably next week will be around four hundred pounds,we we came here to retire twenty years ago it was ten pence a litre, our pension has not kept up with it, nor the rates increases, we are guite anxious now as our oil is low and it is still cold, we are wondering if we can find any company to hal fill the tank at not extra cost per litre. Has anybody any ideas,as it is getting quite ridiculous,can anybody get Mr Gordon Brown to read this website, perhaps he should, the prime minister too"!!

Replies

• To oap

You can put any amount in your tank you don't have to fill it.
    When I phone up they always ask me how much I want put in
    travelover
  • margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those payments you mention are not taxable.

Winter fuel payment is set to continue, but the council tax payment was a one-off and won't be repeated.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • oapoap Forumite
    596 posts
    Thanks for the replies, one has to smile!! he he!! I do not have much time for any of them in government, but as sir has turned 75 we got our tv free this year, so it all helps, I thought I would mention it as you may be interested, we went a long way into a wind turbine on our house, this is a coming thing, definitely, had words with our MP about it too, this will happen I think and there are going to be subsidies for us to do it,they are in place now, there is the problem of what you attach to your house, planning permission etc., but if you are old enough you may remember we all thought the H aerials were hideous and the sky dishes are no better, so one does get used to funny things on roofs etc, it may be if one has a large enough garden that one can put a turbine on a shed, or on the ground, there is quite a bit of info out there on the net if you look for it.

We quite fancy the idea, but its early days and we will probably have popped our clogs by the time it becomes the norm!!!!!
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free Tv will not help us a lot (when they force it upon us) as we don't watch it very much!! (Why do the gubmint assume that all over-75 people are glued to the telly all day? Now, if they paid our broadband subscription, that would really be of much more use!)

Anyway, that wasn't what I started to say. I think in your position I would investigate the possibility either of a wind turbine or solar heating panels on the roof.

One of the few things I do watch on TV has been a series called 'It's not easy being green' on BBC2. http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=easy_green

We may yet do something of the sort - solar panels would be a better option for us than a wind turbine because our back garden is fairly sheltered so not very windy. However, the big project this year is replacing the roof - 75-year old asbestos tiles need replacing completely - and that takes precedence, I'm afraid.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • davsidippdavsidipp Forumite
    11.5K posts
    oap nice party broadcast. pity they have put more up then down and we are paying more tax now.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • oapoap Forumite
    596 posts
    Well to be absolutely honest, we are not labour voters, conservative voters, or liberal voters, as we do not hold static views, we are and always have been middle of the road, what we do vote for now is those who are going to look after us best in our situation!!!
  • OAP, is your house insulated to within an inch of its life? Grants are available to help improve insulation. There's a thread on it somewhere on MSE, sorry can't remember which board it's on.:confused: Try a search. Also, sometimes older people are more sensitive to the cold, so vests and layers might make a difference to comfort levels.

Don't worry about who to vote for folks, the government always gets in
    :rotfl:
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Dora

Our loft was insulated after we moved here in 1990 (that was my late first husband and me) - fibreglass material laid between the joists and a floor laid on top of it. The roof wasn't touched though. Good news this morning - phone call from our roofing contractor who wants to start the job on Tuesday this coming week. The roof is 75-year old asbestos tiles, not allowed any more, not lined, tiles slipping and cracking and probably won't stand another winter's frost and gales. So the roof is this year's 'big project'. The new roof WILL be lined so the insulation will be improved.

We're just transferring money from high-interest savings accounts so that we can pay 'on the nail'. Pray for continuing fine weather for the next week!!

Margaret Clare
  • Gez_WGez_W Forumite
    19 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    There are alternative suppliers to Calor who are usually much cheaper. If you let know what part of the UK you are in I can recommend one, or follow this link :

http://www.lpga.co.uk/LPGA.htm

You can probably reduce your cost by at least 25%
  • djohn2002ukdjohn2002uk Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Free Tv will not help us a lot (when they force it upon us) as we don't watch it very much!! (Why do the gubmint assume that all over-75 people are glued to the telly all day? Now, if they paid our broadband subscription, that would really be of much more use!)Margaret Clare

Am I having a senior moment or what? I just don't understand that. Whether you watch 1hr a week or 100hrs a week it still saves the cost of the licence, £100+ each year.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support