Changing bath & sink taps?

Options
Hi I've just got a really lovely set of bath & sink taps from freecycle and I'm wondering just how easy it's going to be changing the old ones? It's seems pretty simple (don't worry I know where the stop !!!! is lol!) but what might the problems be? :eek:

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    Changing taps is actually pretty simple from a technical point of view. And sink taps are usually OK. The problem often comes with the bath taps, purely because you can't get to the bloomin' things ! You've usually got very little space to get a spanner onto them, let alone twist it :-) Look at the bottom of this page :

http://diydata.com/tool/spanner/spanner.php

One of these little beasts makes the job a lot easier, and are available from any decent hardware shop or one of the big DIY chains.

But that aside, it's actually a very simple job. The only tip I would give you is, make sure all the threads, connectors, pipework etc. are scrupulously clean before you assemble the new connections. Depending on the amount of corrosion / muck / old paint that may be on the pipes, use either fine emery paper or wire wool. Be very careful not to be too rough on the actual threads. A bit of time spent removing any muck will make the assembly of the joints much easier, and it's surprising how the tiniest piece of grit on a thread will prevent a watertight seal.

So, as with the vast majority of DIY things, no it's not difficult, but just take your time over it and keep everything nice and clean.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    Madmonk wrote: »
    Hi I've just got a really lovely set of bath & sink taps from freecycle and I'm wondering just how easy it's going to be changing the old ones? It's seems pretty simple (don't worry I know where the stop !!!! is lol!) but what might the problems be? :eek:

Good morning: worse case scenario...you can't get the old ones out and end up cracking/chipping the bath/basin during your struggle to liberate;)...see more here.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whenever you're replacing anything like this, if you can try and put an extra stop tap before each one. If you have any problems in the future it saves you turning off the supply to the whole house.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Options
    Hi was interested to see this as we want to do the same for our bathroom sink as found some lovely ones but am scared of buying them as dont think i can do..does anyone know how much a plumber would be roughly to do this? was going to get the kitchen sink done too but we are changing the sink instead so will get a mixer tap.
    Thanks
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    changing the basin taps?
    about 50/100 quid.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing