Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Lost Job, Partner Disabled, Please Help

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum to be posting this message. My situation is this, I have a friend whose partner had an accident and is now paralyzed from the chest down. The accident was caused by staff at a hospital and the case is running for compensation.

They are not married, however, have 2 children (under 5). To compound matters, my friend lost her job a few weeks after the accident and has been living on savings since. The savings have almost ran out and she has now resorted to selling things from the house to cover to outgoings.

She has been to the Citizens Advice Bureau several times, but they don't appear to be able to give her much help.

My friend has applied for legal aid, however, she has been told that as her partner is still employed (albeit on statutory sick pay) she may not be able to get the aid. She has asked her partners employers if they can effectively make him redundant as he can't come back to work anyway, but they won't do it.

The court case is due to run for the foreseeable future and my question is, is there financial support that is available to her that may not be immediately obvious?

She is almost at the point where she can't keep up mortgage payments on the house and will effectively be turfed out on the street with the 2 kids. I wouldn't see her homeless, but we only have a small house ourselves.

I've tried to look into what she is entitled to, but I have to say its like getting blood from a stone when asking people about this kind of information

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated, phone numbers, websites with good information etc. Anything which may point me toward a good source of information where I can find something to help.

Many thanks.

Replies

• How much savings do they have left?

Once he has exhausted his SSP he may get ESA.

My first thought is DLA (disability living allowance).
  • JulesJules Forumite
    299 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Does he receive DLA? If so she may be able to claim Carers Allowance and then maybe a top up of Income Support which after a waiting period would give help with the mortgage.

Carers isn't means tested Income Support is so the eligibility to IS would be dependant on what other income is coming in and level of savings, anything over £16000 and no IS payable.

They need a full benefit check ASAP, I'd be surprised if CAB haven't done this for them.

Have they told tax credits about the reduction in income? As he is on SSP he is still classed as employed / working until this stops and thus can claim WTC.
    Debt at highest May 04 - £65,639.22 - Started DMP with CCCS 1st June 04 & now self managed DMP
    Debt now 20th December 2015 £31677.13 Paid Off to date £33962.09 - just not going quickly enough!

Debt free date July 2024! I don't think so, it'll be going quicker than that!!!

• edited 31 July 2009 at 8:42PM
    alwaysonthego_2alwaysonthego_2 Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    edited 31 July 2009 at 8:42PM
    Jules wrote: »
    Does he receive DLA? If so she may be able to claim Carers Allowance only if they get middle or higher rate of care component and then maybe a top up of Income Support would be ESA which after a waiting period 13 weeks would give help with the mortgage.

Carers isn't means tested Income Support is so the eligibility to IS would be dependant on what other income is coming in and level of savings, anything over £16000 and no IS payable.

They need a full benefit check ASAP, I'd be surprised if CAB haven't done this for them.

Have they told tax credits about the reduction in income? As he is on SSP he is still classed as employed / working until this stops and thus can claim WTC.
    My comments in red
  • mealonemealone Forumite
    527 Posts
    How much savings do they have left?

Once he has exhausted his SSP he may get ESA.

My first thought is DLA (disability living allowance).

And carers allowance for his partner if she dosnt earn over £95 a weel after deductions and she cares for him 35 hours a week or more, carering covers more than helping toileting ect, it can include watching over him or keeping him safe and similer things.
  • JulesJules Forumite
    299 Posts
    Forumite
    My comments in red

He can't claim ESA if he is still in receipt of SSP so it would be the wife would claim Income Support as a Carer income and savings dependent.
    Debt at highest May 04 - £65,639.22 - Started DMP with CCCS 1st June 04 & now self managed DMP
    Debt now 20th December 2015 £31677.13 Paid Off to date £33962.09 - just not going quickly enough!

• edited 31 July 2009 at 9:00PM
    alwaysonthego_2alwaysonthego_2 Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    edited 31 July 2009 at 9:00PM
    He can't claim ESA if he is still in receipt of SSP so it would be the wife would claim Income Support as a Carer income and savings dependent.
    I was saying he would not be able to claim IS it would be ESA when his ssp is exhausted.

According to my adviser's book Carer's allowance counts in full for means tested benefits. So with the SSP and CA it would take them over the limit for IS.
  • JulesJules Forumite
    299 Posts
    Forumite
    I was saying he would not be able to claim IS it would be ESA when his ssp is exhausted.

Yes I realise that's what you meant.
    Just as a matter of interest. What would happen at the end of SSP if his wife was claiming Carer's and a top of Income Support. Would he claim ESA and she IS? Or would it be a joint claim of Income Support or a joint ESA claim? I'm sure I should know this but my mind is completely blank and I haven't got my CPAG handbook here.

Yes CA does count but they would get CA premium and Dis Premium. I did a quickcalc and using those figures and basic premiums there is an eligibility but thats without knowing savings and other income as they should still be getting WTC which is counted too.

• Jules wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest. What would happen at the end of SSP if his wife was claiming Carer's and a top of Income Support. Would he claim ESA and she IS? Or would it be a joint claim of Income Support or a joint ESA claim? I'm sure I should know this but my mind is completely blank and I haven't got my CPAG handbook here.

Yes CA does count but they would get CA premium and Dis Premium. I did a quickcalc and using those figures and basic premiums there is an eligibility but thats without knowing savings and other income as they should still be getting WTC which is counted too.
    To be honest I would not know without a copy of the CPAG as my adviser's book is only basic. I know that any new claimants are transferred straight onto ESA so possibly the IS (if any claim) would be overlapped.
  • healyhealy Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture

The disability premium has gone with those claiming ESA.
  • JulesJules Forumite
    299 Posts
    Forumite
    To be honest I would not know without a copy of the CPAG as my adviser's book is only basic. I know that any new claimants are transferred straight onto ESA so possibly the IS (if any claim) would be overlapped.
    Yes thats possible. I'll have to have a read up on this on monday just out of curiosity. Someday I'll learn to switch of when I come home! Not!

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum