New Account

Hello,

I am entering a DMP very soon (halfway through process with CCCS) and I am going to need a new bank account because my overdraft on my current account is going to be put into the DMP (£1700).

I have never had a bank account even though I'm 23 lol. I just got added to the wifes ages ago. What do I need to take with me to open one?

- I have wage slips so that's fine but how many? Wages are the same every month becasue I'm salaried.

- I have utility bills/phone bills etc with addresses

- I have a driving license but have not changed my address since moving :rolleyes:

- I do not have a passport

- I have a marriage certificate

I am more concerned about the ID part with my driving license probably not being accpeted.

Thanks, Dan
LBM - 30/07/09
Started DMP in Oct 2009, went wrong. Due to start new DMP in March/April 2013. Bring it on!
:beer:

Comments

• LemonGrove
    LemonGrove Posts: 618 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2009 at 6:54PM
    You will need to prove your identity, and your address to open one. A recent utility bill or phone bill will be fine for proof of address.

Normally your driving license would be fine for proving your ID but you will probably need to update your address on it first so that the two match. This page may be of use.
    Male. :o
  • dannynixon
    dannynixon Posts: 418 Forumite
    Thanks for that, that page clearly kicks my ID into touch lol. Will get the drivers license sorted first thing in the morning. Not sure if it will get here by 27th with my consultation with CCCS. Thanks pal
    LBM - 30/07/09
    Started DMP in Oct 2009, went wrong. Due to start new DMP in March/April 2013. Bring it on!
  • LemonGrove
    That's fine, it's the same problem for me - I don't have a passport or a driving license, luckily because of my age I can still use my birth certificate or my medical card :p
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can you not open a sole account now with present bank?
  • dannynixon
    Can you not open a sole account now with present bank?

Afraid not. I am just about to enter a DMP and I have a Visa, loan and Overdraft with this banks so I need to open a basic account with someone who I don't owe any money too. Thanks all the same.

I filled in the driving license application on the net. Should be here within 10 working days...
    LBM - 30/07/09
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Did you print off the driving licence address change application you have just made. Even if not why not pop into the local high street and see if you can get an account open today.
    Why wait you have nothing to lose.

Good Luck
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • dannynixon
    gfplux wrote: »
    Did you print off the driving licence address change application you have just made. Even if not why not pop into the local high street and see if you can get an account open today.
    Why wait you have nothing to lose.

Good Luck

That doesn't sound a bad idea because I have a confirmation e-mail etc so I might be able to take that in along with my old license. Who knows eh? Cheers for the adive gfplux!
    LBM - 30/07/09
  • dannynixon
    So I went to the bank and they wouldn't entertain the idea. I have to wait 9 more working days to open one. Oh well,
    thanks anyways!
    LBM - 30/07/09
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    My friend opened a Halifax Easycash account online. A few weeks later he received the debit card in the post with no need to provide any ID.
  • LemonGrove
    cifpower wrote: »
    My friend opened a Halifax Easycash account online. A few weeks later he received the debit card in the post with no need to provide any ID.

Some check your identity online against a database;
    Under the Money Laundering Regulations and Financial Services Authority rules, we are required to verify both the name, address and date of birth of investors. To do this, we will ordinarily use an electronic verification system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport