Verified by Visa fraud

I've just got back from my holidays to find that two payments of £170 and £180 have been taken from my current account. I rang the bank and they have put the fraud people onto it and blocked my account. I also got an email from Verified by Visa saying my account password had been changed. Obviously if I had been at home I would have noticed this and contacted them but I was away. How can my password be changed without the fraudsters having the old password? There was an attempt at a malware attack on my computer a few weeks ago but I thought I had caught it in time - could this be what's happened?
I haven't given anyone my VbyV details and there's no way anyone could guess my password as it's very obscure. I used the account card on holiday yesterday blissfully unaware that there had been theft from my account and there was no problem. It was the first time I had used the account in the week I was away.
This money is the Disability Living Allowance and Carer's Allowance I get for looking after my son and only went in the day before the money was stolen. Had they tried this on any other day of the month they wouldn't have got anything. What lowlifes!
Has this happened to anyone else and did you get your money back - I've read a few worrying things about VbyV refusing to admit liability because the password had been used.

Comments

• olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 31 July 2009 at 7:20PM
    There is quite a bit on theregister.co.uk about how insecure verified by visa is:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/23/vbyv_password_reset/

(I think you need to find out if the card issuer allows you to reset the password a few times. Find someone else who has the same card.)

More articles here: http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/09/26/verified_by_visa/print.html
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I bought something online for my daddy using his card, with his permission. He's not that great with computers, and thinks to buy anything online from any website you need an Ebay account (he also thinks you need a passport to go online, as when his computer was new msn messenger automatically opened and had a message about needing a .NET passport).

Anyway, for this purchase it came up with verified by visa. I asked him if he had an existing account, and he assured me he didn't. So I went through the procedure to set up a new account. It only asked for basic information to set up. Then right at the end it told me I'd created a new password! It's scary how easy it is to do.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills