Blessing and divorcee's etc?!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
11 replies 688 views
Skint_CattSkint_Catt Forumite
11.5K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
Can anyone help reassure me?

We're about to book a Manor House for our reception and we also have the opportunity to marry there - getting 'married' first in a civil ceremony in the library and then a blessing in the chapel by a priest (legal requirements or something - seems strange to me but that's the way it has to be)

I'm about to make enquiries with the local RC church (I'm non-practising RC - my fiance is non-religious and a divorcee) but I'm worried that they will refuse.

Can anyone reassure me? And what will we have to do at/for the church in order for them to marry us? I've heard about 6 months marriage preparation etc?

Replies

• edited 31 July 2009 at 4:38PM
    picklepickpicklepick Forumite
    4K Posts
    edited 31 July 2009 at 4:38PM
    Does it have to be RC priest? I'm not sure how it works in catholicism but i do know that you may have a blessing in a CofE church if you are a divorcee

this might help if thats something u might consider...
    http://www.yourchurchwedding.org/faqs/frequently-asked-questions.aspx
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Skint_CattSkint_Catt Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Thanks. Both my Mum and I would love for it to be RC but I guess if we have no other option it would have to be CofE :(
  • I also know that RC's can make it compulsory for you to be confirmed and you will need special consideration from a bishop (normally quite straight forward) if your partner is not baptised. Also him being a divorcee may make this more complicated
    11.5K Posts
    :( Thanks picklepick. It's not looking good then.
  • Try not to get too down about it until you've spoken to the priest. I might be completely wrong!!
    11.5K Posts
    Just an update for anyone wondering the same thing. The RC church don't want to know. Next stop CofE.
  • nat82nat82 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Yip, we were the same. Hubby is a divorcee. We're both practising Catholics and they wouldn't touch us with a barge pole. We were considering a Church of Scotland marriage but in the end went for Civil Ceremony (I never thought that I'd ever go down this route) and it was lovely. It was still spiritual for us as that was what was in our hearts (soppy I know but true nonetheless!!!).

I know how disapppointed you must feel but try not to feel too down about it. The most important thing is getting married, the rest is what you make of it.

xxx
    11.5K Posts
    Thanks. I did start crying on the phone when I spoke to the priest as he was so harsh about it but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the CofE down the road - it's a beautiful location unlike the RC which is in an awful area! :)

Oh and congrats on your recent marriage!
  • aww Skint Catt what did he say that made you cry? thats awful!

I'm pretty sure the CofE church will welcome you for a blessing with open arms. The link i posted above should answer any questions you might have. Hope its better news!
  • nat82nat82 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    I can imagine, some of the older priests are so set in their ways that they can be awful about things like this. Please don't be too down about it. CofE is just a another branch of the same religion, just a different location and I am sure they will delighted to be part of your marriage. I found the CofS to be much more accommodating and I'm sure CofE will be too.

Chin up!

xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs