Cancelling a Direct Debit

i signed up to a direct debit at my local gym for a year (5 months ago), they use a company called "eazy collect".

at the botom of my direct debit it says "you can cancel a direct debit at any time by writing to your bank".

however, when i just phoned eazy collect to cancel she made out that i was a criminal for wanting to cancel... and told me to either pay the full membership amount or keep the direct debit in place :rolleyes:

... would it be risky phoning my bank and telling them to block the direct debit?

the payment is due to come out tomorrow for next months membership.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,807
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Even if you cancel the direct debit it doesnt mean you dont still owe the money.
    they will chase you for it because you will have signed a contract for a year or whatever when you took it out.
    I would keep going to the gym if i were you. there is no way you can get out of it. sorry
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • peregrin
    peregrin Posts: 112 Forumite
    You are probably too late to stop the next payment coming out if you cancel it today, but yes, you can cancel it with your bank and it will stop the company from taking any more payments after that, but the company will be notified of this fact - and if, for instance, you are in a contract with the gym, they might just send you a bill for the remainder of the contract.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,807
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    peregrin wrote: »
    You are probably too late to stop the next payment coming out if you cancel it today, but yes, you can cancel it with your bank and it will stop the company from taking any more payments after that, but the company will be notified of this fact - and if, for instance, you are in a contract with the gym, they might just send you a bill for the remainder of the contract.

There wont be any 'might just' about it. You can bet your last penny that they will,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • peregrin
    peregrin Posts: 112 Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    There wont be any 'might just' about it. You can bet your last penny that they will,

Indeed! :D
  • td_007
    td_007 Posts: 1,212
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yuzo wrote: »
    however, when i just phoned eazy collect to cancel she made out that i was a criminal for wanting to cancel... and told me to either pay the full membership amount or keep the direct debit in place :rolleyes:.

Important question - did you agree for a minimum period during sign up? If yes, then you will be billed till the end of that period if not through dd then by some other means. If no, then cancel the dd and you will be fine.
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 August 2009 at 9:12AM
    Yuzo wrote: »
    i signed up to a direct debit at my local gym for a year (5 months ago), they use a company called "eazy collect".

at the botom of my direct debit it says "you can cancel a direct debit at any time by writing to your bank".

however, when i just phoned eazy collect to cancel she made out that i was a criminal for wanting to cancel... and told me to either pay the full membership amount or keep the direct debit in place :rolleyes:

... would it be risky phoning my bank and telling them to block the direct debit?

the payment is due to come out tomorrow for next months membership.

You cannot block a DD, but you could cancel it. DD's actually state that they should be cancelled with the company directly and then the bank also advised. Cancelling with the bank only willl not automatically stop the company from trying to collect the funds. If they cannot collect the DD for whatever reason and you are tied into a contract with them they could even attempt to charge you an additional fee for not being able to collect.

Regardless of that If you have a 12 month subscription, then you may not be able to get out of it and cancelling the DD only will just prolong things and force them to obtain the money from you by other means.

If you haven't signed up for a 12 month term you'll most probably too late to stop the next iminent payment, but once that's gone through just call back the company and cancel, remembering to also advise your bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure