Clydesdale Bank Cheque return fees

I wrote a cheque for £130 from my Current Account with the Clydesdale Bank. I very rarely write cheques (the last one being over 6 months ago) and for this one i didnt record who it was for, what it was for or when i wrote it (my fault). I dont think its fraud, but I couldnt remember writing it and wanted a copy of the cheque sent back to me to check.

I know there is normally a fee for this and was prepared to pay it. However on speaking to the telephone centre, I was told that the fee for a returned cheque was £10 per hour depending on how long it took them to find the cheque. THERE WAS NO MAXIMUM.

The girl said it may take a couple of hours but it may take all day. I cant advise you on what the charges will be.

I understand that banks need to cover their costs, but surely there should be an upper bound to this service. If it takes more than a couple of hours then that must be down to their filing systems being bad and this should not be passed onto the customer.

Alternatively, all i wanted to know was who it was paid to. Do they not store that information electronically? I would have thought they would need to have it for the transaction to take place?

Comments

• jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    edited 2 August 2009 at 3:10AM
    I am pretty sure this falls under the Data Protection Act under which you can request a Subject Access Request that can cost up to a maximum of £10 per request.

This page from the Information Commissioners Office Website states:-
    Also, the Act does not cover all personal information. However, it does cover personal
    information that:
    • is held, or going to be held on computer;
    • is in, or going to be in, a manual filing system that is highly structured so that
    information about you can be easily retrieved;
    • is in most health, educational, social service or housing records; or
    • is other information held by a public authority.
    I would refer you to point two specifically. If Clydesdale are saying the information has to be looked for then that would suggest a lack of "highly structured" manual records system, thus exempting this request under the Act.

However I would play the Data Protection card, if worst comes to worst, there is a template letter for a D.S.A.R. on that link which you can send in. If you do have to send a formal D.S.A.R., ask for more than just a copy cheque. Legally under that request you can ask for all the information Clydesdale hold about you and you can still only be charge £10.

£10 an hour is a nonsense and I would not accept this, other banks charge you that per request or per cheque not per hour.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure